Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
aem2 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead key after spill

Spilled some water on my keyboard. After cleanup, everything's working except one key (the left Alt key, if that matters). I'm sure there must be instructions or a video somewhere on how to fix a dead key but I haven't been able to find them. Any pointers?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14473 1348 3208
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead key after spill

aem2

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The problem with spilling anything on a laptop is that the liquid can get inside and short-out connections and components on the motherboard, as well as with the keyboard.

If a key stops working, there are two general causes: (1) key breakage, (2) keyboard circuit short.

In the first, something gets broken on the key press component, usually from a heavy object falling on the keyboard. This can sometimes be replaced to repair the key.

In the second, the circuit sheet under the keyboard gets shorted out -- and that is only repairable by dissambling the laptop and replacing that sheet.  This is NOT repairable in software.

Unfortunately, accidental damage like this is NOT covered by warranty.  So, you would have pay someone to troubleshoot your laptop to see what is damaged, and what (if anything) can be replaced.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
aem2 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dead key after spill

I realize that it's hardware and not software. A short-circuit seems most likely. A repair shop probably isn't worth the cost.

I'm curious to know if this is a repair a non-expert could take on. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation