cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
twurped
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Defective USB recovery kit...

HP Recommended

Purchased the USB - Windows 7 64B Recovery Kit from HP's site for recovery of 4-1043cl laptop that had Hard drive corrupeted during Windows 10 'self-update'.  (yes recovery media had not been created hence the need to purchase recovery disc).  Using recovery USB: Reformats, copies, then on Restoring files to Hard Drive step I get the "windows cannot find E:\system.sav\util\rstone.exe" message and ultimately BOOTMGR is missing after system reboots twice.  Based on some other posts looks like this is not a unique issue.   Attempting to contact the HP phone number 855-812-8786 listed on the instructions that came with the recovery disk just gives silence followed by dial tone.  Contacting HP support phone number simply gets you placed on hold and then disconnected (unless you want to pay $100 for system support.)   What is the correct format for getting a refund for the USB Recovery Kit or actually getting recovery disk that works?  The system works, passes all diagnostic tests, and can perform a manual install of Windows 7 or Windows 10 without issue but the recovery disk is utterly useless (don't mind paying for it if functional but not if it does not work.)

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @twurped

Thank you for your inquiry.

I grasp that you purchased  recovery kit (USB) and are unable to use it.  When you tried contacting HP Support with the number listed on the recovery kit, you just get silence, then followed by a dial tone. When you used the HP Support number you were advised you would have to pay for service.

As you purchased your recovery kit from the HP shopping web site, please contact them and have your order number for them. Contact HP Shopping

If you would care to retry the recovery here is a link to HP PCs - Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7) as a guide.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy:

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
twurped
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Went through many rounds with the 'Contact HP Shopping' support.  Always went one of two ways:  

1. Was transferred from department to department to department...until finally being 'accidentily' disconnected.
  2. Was transferred from department to department to department...until finally being told to call the general HP support line that is posted on the Website (which is what I had repeatedly done prior to even posting on this forum)

Since it was non-functioning Recovey USB and no support was given I contacted my CC company to dispute the charge and created my own Win10 install media.

Literally spent days trying to resolve this issue.  Pretty frustrating experience that will definately affect my future purchases and recommendations.  Everyone I spoke to at HP was polite but no one was able to help or new the correct path to send me to for resolution.

0 Kudos
Sparkles1
Retired
Retired
14,461 14,098 715 1,914
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @twurped,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link. 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
jody13
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I need a refund as well this product sucks and I followed all the instructions.  There are several people with these issue.  How do I get a refund.

0 Kudos
Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 3,064 52 155
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
twurped
Author
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Attempt to contact HP to request return / refund.  After a few hours pass of them bouncing you around from one department to another (or 'accidentaly' disconecting you) continue to step 2. (I wish I was being sarcatic about this but that was my experience.  Perhaps they have resolved there issues but I wouldn't hold my breath.

2. Contact your Credit Card company (the one you used to pay for the recovery media) and put in a charge dispute for the item.  Give them the details of the problem (item not working as described lack of any support to resolve (assuming that has not changed)). 

0 Kudos
twm0715
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same exact problem here with an Envy 17t-2100. Also, same result from totally clueless HP "support". I suppose I'll also dispute the CC charge and avoid all things HP in the future.  

0 Kudos
vfrpetro
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am one of the many on here who ordered a recpovery kit USB and it doesnt work....same error as everyone else, boot MGR missing. Also same hours and days and weeks spent trying to reach a human being at HP who could help me or get me a refund.  HOW DO I GET A REFUND FROM HP??????? PLease dont tell me to contact HP support. there is none.  G7 Pavilion lap top model 1338 DX.  Can one of the HP moderators elevate my case to a real human who can assist in a refund? HP support told me my 2012 PC was out dated and tried to sell me a new one for $250...I'm not kidding!  Just got off phone with a person who transfered me to recovery support for a refund, and just like another person said, call quality was poor and then poof, call got dropped,.. ANOTHER 30 minutes of my life lost to HP.

0 Kudos
kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,846 324 972
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@vfrpetro

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation