Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
isarevic Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Device manager and task bar refreshing when lid is closed

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4125nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my Spectre is in dock mode with lid closed and external devices connected, I get continuous refreshing fo the taskbar and the device manager as if a device is trying to connect.  Even when the lid is barely opened, the behavior goes away.  No sound, though, so it's probably not a USB device.  I disabled the touchpad just in case.  Updated all drivers, nothing has helped.

I have recorded a video of the behavior in case that would help.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@ isarevic,

Thank you for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Unusual behaviour on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I request you upload the video recorded and share the link to this reply so that I can check and understand to find correct solution.

Kindly update the status.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
isarevic Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Resolv_S

Here you go:  https://youtu.be/uHzwDfaATss.

Looking forward to your help.

Uploaded by Edward Isarevich on 2016-10-17.
0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@isarevic,

I thank you for the reply.

Check if any USB devices not connected correctly to the PC. The only reason for the device manager to refresh is because of any loose connections to any external peripherals.

Hope this helps. Kindly update the status.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
isarevic Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Resolv_S As I've said, this behavior ONLY happens with the lid closed, and there is no sound coming from the device (like the type when a USB connection is made or lost).  I have tried this with only an HDMI external monitor and an external mouse connected, and the behavior still happens.  The slightest opening of the lid, even by a few millimeters, causes the behavior to stop.  It's as if this is being caused by magnetic interference or some device confused by sleep/power settings.

But as I have said, it wouldn't be an external device causing this as I have tested with the above configuration.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@isarevic,

I thank you for executing the steps shared. I suggest you try performing a clean install in order to fix it. Please follow the steps from the link below.

http://hp.care/2byIEKi

Hope it helps.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
isarevic Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Resolv_S Just got a chance to restore.  Went through the full recovery process, and the issue still remains.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@isarevic,

Then, you will have to do a clean installation/recovery using HP Recovery media. Use the link below to order online from HP Website.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/hp-spectre-13-4100-x360-convertible-pc/8499273/model/11830090...

Or use the link below to call Phone support and order over the phone.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Hope this helps. Happy posting.

Resolv_S

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
amnjdm Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was noticing the same issue with a newer HP laptop. This occurs when the laptop lid is (completely) closed and you have a separate monitor: the taskbar (and device manager) go ape $%^7. If you put a folded up napkin or tissue on the bottom right hand corner of the body of the laptop to give enough space separating the monitor from the body of the laptop, the lid will be closed enough to cause the display on the laptop to shut off.

You will notice there is no more loco taskbar. Please make sure that the lid does not become seated on the body of the laptop, otherwise the issue will come back.

This is in no way a complete fix and there is likely an issue with hdmi output and the laptop circuitry.

Hope this helps (it worked really well for me) ;)

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation