cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Bpilgram
Level 3
52 41 0 13
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered error message Intel 4600 Display Driver

Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since I installed Windows 10, update 1511 in November,  I keep getting an error message "Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered."  I updated the display driver via Device Manager and now have 10.18.15 4248 dated Aug 4 2015.  That did not fix the problem.

The solutions discussed here are not workable -- i.e. uninstall Windows 10, roll back Windows 10 to delete the 1511 November update, modify the Registry file to adjust the TCM settings (or something like that that's beyond my capabilities)  or use a different video card.  I don't have a different video card installed, just the Intel 4600

How can I solve this problem?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 184 357
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered error message Intel 4600 Display Driver

Hi there @Bpilgram,

Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums. I wanted to reach out to you and help! I understand that you receive an error message saying that the Display Driver has stopped responding on your HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC

I did some research and found a document for you called Error: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has recovered (Windows 10). This document will give you information and troubleshooting steps pertaining to this error. It may be an issue that you can fix on your own with the help of the troubleshooting document. 

Have you done your Windows and Driver updates?

Have you run the HP Support Assistant for updated drivers and software?

Please let me know if I answered your question by clicking the 'Thumbs up' if the troubleshooting steps in this post resolved the issue for you please click the 'Accept as Solution' button. This will allow other's who have the same issue to find the solution also. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and could you please include your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

I hope this helps! 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bpilgram
Level 3
52 41 0 13
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but the suggestions in the article do not solve the problem.

1.  I tried restarting several times.  That did not work.

2.  The graphics card is the latest one available.  This is a brand new PC built by HP

3.  Windows 10 is up to date.  It automatically updates.  The only update I have uninstalled is KB3132372 that Microsoft released on Dec 30.  The update impacts Flash Management in Windows 10.  That update causes some software to crash, but that update does not cause the display driver crashes which happened before that update was released

4.  It tried the Microsoft troubleshooter.  That did not work.

5.  Changing the settings to maximize performance makes the screen look terrible and turns most of the special effects in Windows.  What's the point of buying a high end machine if you have to make it look like DOS to run?  Shouldn't a machine assembled by HP actually work with the operating system software and hardware it came with?

6.  Doing a system restore will roll back all the Windows updates (restore to Windows 8.2) and remove Windows 10.  That's unacceptable

0 Kudos
Bpilgram
Level 3
52 41 0 13
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

And, I did run Support Assistant to update drivers, but Support Assistant failed to find the updated display driver for Intel.  To update the Intel drivers, I had to use device manager to search for and install the latest drivers.  The problem persisted after the updated display drivers.

0 Kudos
ZRX_Dave
Level 2
22 22 1 5
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is this only while web browsing? if so what browser

0 Kudos
darkknight2000
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue for my Intel Graphics HD 520 display driver on my brand new HP Star Wars special edition computer and I have done everything you have done and more and updated the software many times and its still happening. I was told by HP there is no fix for it until they come out with a correct driver that makes the error go away, its either that or try rolling back the system back to windows 8 which I agree is unacceptable!!!! 

Tim

0 Kudos
Bpilgram
Level 3
52 41 0 13
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope.  It happens on various web sites, but also when running Office software (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and other software.  It does not seem to be limited to a particular application

0 Kudos
ZRX_Dave
Level 2
22 22 1 5
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I have the Intel 530 graphics and had the same problems. I have office but maybe have not used enough to get a crash using office. I have found that unchecking use hardware acceleration in the Firefox browser has solved my problems.

Click the menu bars at topright, then options, then advanced on left, then general tab under advanced and uncheck use hardware acceleration when available. If you use Firefox maybe this will at least help you while web browsing

0 Kudos
Bpilgram
Level 3
52 41 0 13
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I use EI 11 and I suspect that Word and other programs do, as well, in the background.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation