Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 19 (3,004 Views)

Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered (Windows 7) Help?

Yesterday this happened to me for the first time when I logged into YouTube like I do on a daily basis. I got the few seconds lag, the black screen then my laptop almost crashed.

What is going on? This only happens so far when I try to view YouTube videos. I'm not sure what will happen next, I've googled it and noticed that it's a really large problem for some reason? Why?

I don't know what advise to take because each PC's specs are different, before I takethe laptop into a shop for repairs I want to see if I can do this by myself.

Here's the information about my PC.

Windows 7 Home Premium

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Processor : Intel Core i5 CPU  M460 @ 2.53GHz

64 Bit Operating System

6.00 GB 5.80 useable

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 19 (2,974 Views)

Re: Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered (Windows 7) Help?

Hi. Can you tell me which AMD Card do you have ? And have you tried updating the Drivers ? Tell Me That AMD Card Model that should Help me . 

******Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Clicking Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue helps others who are searching**

++You must be the originator of thread to see the option Accept as Solution++

Top Student
Message 3 of 19 (2,964 Views)

Seeing as he/she has the same specs as I do, I'd say that the AMD card is most likely an ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 HD.

Tutor
Message 4 of 19 (2,960 Views)

Sorry, I don't know immediately. If it ever happens again I'll take a picture with my cell phone so I can explain to people better. I've used my computer yesterday and today, I don't seem to have problems. What could have happened?

I honestly think it may happen again, is this a common problem..or am I using some defective or outdated software?

Regents Professor
Message 5 of 19 (2,945 Views)

[ Edited ]

I understand the display driver stops responding.

What is the product number?

NOTE: Do NOT provide the serial number.

This is usually resolved with a driver update and knowing the specifics about the system will help find the right driver if an update is available.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Tutor
Message 6 of 19 (2,762 Views)

The scary thing is that the first step of the freeze still happens, the Shockwave plug in has slowed down or stopped working. Meaning all flash players I have automatically crash.

But my laptop hasn't "crashed" since then. I have a JAVA update but I'm hesitant to install it. I'm thinking this can happen to me at anytime and there's nothing I can do about it besides backup all my files on a external hard drive..which I have.
Regents Professor
Message 7 of 19 (2,739 Views)

The shockwave plugin crashing is a little different than the display driver not responding.  Are you still receiving the display driver stopped responding crash error?

The shockwave plugin should be for browsesrs.  Does this happen with any browser you use or is it related to a specific browser?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Message 8 of 19 (2,648 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

My product number is LW268UA#ABA

I have a Pavilion DV6

The AMD is a Quad-Core A6-3400M Accelerated Processor

Do you have any clue what I can do about the "Display Driver Amd Stopped Responding" error message? It seems to happen mainly when I'm using Youtube or watching other videos.

Top Student
Message 9 of 19 (2,607 Views)

...any feedback guys?

Regents Professor
Message 10 of 19 (2,582 Views)

I believe I have made this suggestion previously, but I will provide it here as well to be safe.

Try updating the AMD driver using these steps

Let me know how it works out. 

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation