Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

No....

Still not working..... :Crying:

can u send us link to the driver u downloaded?

is it this one?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

maybe its not working, coz i have Windows 7 Ultimate Edition?

and i dont see this edition on the OS support list....

HP Recommended

I got Windows 7 pro and still not getting no sound here.  Tried 2 diffrent display to hdmi cables. Going to try and get in contact with hp support and see if they go any ide whats wrong.

HP Recommended

I, too, wonder whether the DisplayPort will support audio. 

The specification for DisplayPort says that audio is optional.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport and note "Optional; 1-8 channels; 16, or 24-bit linear PCM". 

After spending hours trying to get a straight answer from HP, I was told that the implementation of the DisplayPort for the ProBook 5310m does not support audio.  Whether this is the correct answer or not, I am not sure. 

Startech at http://www.startech.com/product/itemlist.aspx?product_desc=displayport+adapter&search=Search makes a number of DisplayPort converters.  They have told me that their converters to not support audio, and I suspect that is because the DisplayPort implementation for most laptop computers does not support audio, rather than a shortcoming in the converter itself.  People have been angry and upset about this for several years with prior versions of this and other models produced by HP and also Lenovo.

Why a brand new laptop such as the latest version of the HP ProBook 5310m would not support a full implementation of DisplayPort with audio is beyond me!

Also, another shortcoming is that the port for the external sound input and ouput requires a "stereo headphone / microphone jack".  This device is not sold by HP nor by any other third party manufacturer.  It is not possible to use an external headphone /  microphone for improved sound and reduced echo because of this shortcoming.

HP Recommended

The 5310m definitely supports audio over DisplayPort, I don't think that I am hallucinating. 😉

As the adapter producers told you that their adapters don't support audio, I'm almost sure that the problem is the adapters...

But you're definitely right, HP should just specify this; it cannot be that users have to speculate for weeks wether or not this feature exists.

HP Recommended

I guess we need to find out which adapters support audio.

If someone finds one that can be bought in US or ebay or Amazon, please, right down here (of course, after you proved it worked on your 5310m).

thanks!

HP Recommended
Perhaps this will help. 

The basic DisplayPort standard supports multi-streaming video and audio.  The output on the HP ProBook 5310m is fully compliant and provides audio output for DisplayPort to HDMI connections, however you need to make sure to manually change the audio device settings on your computer. 

These instructions apply to Windows XP, so you may need to adapt them for Windows 7. 

1. Connect the HDMI cable & adapter to the DisplayPort and press Function F4 until the desktop appears on the external display.  You may need to fiddle with the display settings a bit (both on the external display and computer display).
  2. Click on Start > Control Panel > and select Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.
  3. Select "Sounds and Audio Devices" on the next window.
  4. Click on the Audio tab.  It will show IDT Audio as the default device for sound playback (and for sound recording).  If your computer was customized you may see a different audio device.
  5. Click on the down-facing arrow and you will see "HDMI" as an option in the drop-down menu.  This will appear only if the DisplayPort to HDMI cable & adapter are connected.
  6. Select "HDMI" as the default device.
  7. Click on "Advanced..." to select your speaker setup (my setups are usually stereo or 5.1).
  8. Very important:  There is a checkbox at the bottom of the tab "Use only default devices."  Make sure this is checked otherwise the sound will still come through your computer speakers or headphones.  Not only must you set the default device to HDMI, you must insist that the computer use only the HDMI device for audio.  (I initially had problems with the sound until I discovered this little operating quirk.)
  9. Click Apply, then OK.
I have used this configuration for several business presentations on external displays (mostly 42" Panasonic plasmas) and it works flawlessly every time using the following adapters:

1. BYTECC DisplayPort to HDMI cable adapter, model AP-DPHDMI-005 (available from Newegg).  This is a dongle, so you'll need a separate HDMI cable with a male connector at both ends.
  2. StarTech DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with 10-foot cable, model DP2HDMIMM10 (available from Amazon).  This is a 10' cable with a male DisplayPort connector on one end and a male HDMI connector on the other.  
I hear no difference in audio quality using either device adapter.  The HP ProBook 5310m is really designed with the business traveler in mind and I have found it to be an excellent, lightweight and sleek-looking performer.
Good luck with yours.
HP Recommended

You are our hero! Thanks for the detailed explanation and the recommendations on the adapters. A lot of people will benefit from this.

HP Recommended

Hello!

I'm french so i'm sorry if my english is not good!

When I connect my adapter and the cable, video is great but i have no sound.

In the audio devices, I have just two choices: sound for the computer and sound for the earphones. I have not HDMI.

there are two type of adapter: passive and active.

I asked on an other topic and some people told me that it was possible we need an active adapter...

So, people who have sound on their tv can tell us which type of adapter we need?

Thanks.

sorry for my english :generic: hope you understood me!

HP Recommended

Hi, 

these adapters work:

According to ClarkO:

BYTECC AP-DPHDMI-005 (adapter)

StarTech (DisplayPort-to-HDMI 10m cable)

According to me: 

JOU JYE AVA121 (adapter)

I guess mine is an active one since there is a LED on it.

I didn't need the manual settings that ClarkO described (I'm using Windows 7), but I always have to plugin the adapter twice as described in one of my previous postings. 

Greetings to France from Austria!

HP Recommended

HP ProBook has audio in DisplayPort!

I bought that adapter:

Greatland GDP360 - DisplayPort to HDMI Converter

http://www.greatland-usa.com/displayport.htm

it's available on eBay only for $9

great product, now I can enjoy my probook with movies on my 40" bravia 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.