cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
piwifrut Tutor
Tutor
10 6 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do I need exact motherboard replacement?

Ok I have a sort fo confusing question, so please don't skim read 🙂

Hi I need to replace the motherboard in an hp dv6-3037tx laptop.
I found a sticker inside my laptop saying the part number of the motherboard is 615279-001.

Getting a replacement for 615279-001 will cost me $700

But getting replacement 603642-001 will only cost me $285 (clearance sale) but I think they are the same board.

I checked service and maintenance manuals for dv6-3000 series and I found two versions of the manual that have different replacement part numbers.

Here July 2010 http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339.pdf go to page 22/23

Here April 2010 http://www.manualowl.com/m/Hewlett-Packard/Pavilion-dv6-3000/Manual/103388 go to page 19/20

manuals.jpg

Compare these two pdfs and you see that both are for the same laptop.

And both boards mentioned above have different part numbers but the same descriptions.

So I was thinking maybe I could buy the cheaper motherboard even if it is a different part number.
Is it possible that hp makes two boards the same with different part numbers?

• Also, what does it matter if the board is different anyway? pretty much everything is contained in the board.... So I thought that as long as it has my previous GPU (ATi 5650) and correct RAM, WiFi and CPU sockets, any board (of the correct shape) would do.

I would very much like to save myself over $400 if I can. Is it risky buying the 603642-001 board?

Thanks, and sorry for information overload :generic:

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
102,638 96,715 14,983 23,079
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You sure have done your research on this thoroughly.

Enter the part numbers at the link below.

http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Default.aspx?mscssid=CB84DF1CB35E48BBB9F0EDF09B9B7D0A

You will see there is a description difference.

603642-001   In stock    
SPS-PCA SYSTEM BD DIS 5650/1G DUO NON-TS

615279-001   In stock  
SPS-PCA SYSTEM BOARD DIS 5650/1G DUO

You will find there is very little difference in the prices on the HP site.

If you can figure out what the NON-TS means, then you will know which one to purchase.

Could it mean Non Touch Screen?

Paul

0 Kudos
piwifrut Tutor
Tutor
10 6 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I went ahead and bought that cheaper board. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Would make sense if it means Non Touch Screen. Maybe it's a version of the board that has no input connections for the optional touchscreen.

My current board has the plug for one, but my screen is not touch screen so I don't think it will be a problem.

Anyway, there is no way I would pay $700 to fix my computer. It's just far too much money to put into it.

0 Kudos
Bumbletron Tutor
Tutor
8 4 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did the cheaper replacement board work?

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation