Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4195nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased the above 2-in-1 laptop in November.  From initial use of the laptop I had noted that when previewing Excel files in either Outlook or MS Explorer the applications would freeze.  The only way to fix this problem was to close and relaunch these applications.  This didn't always happen.

Over the time the above problem happened with greater frequency.  Recently, previewing files in these applications has become very slow and for cerrtain file types doesn't work at all.  This problem is not the end of the world, it is mostly annoying because it make my work far less efficient.  Have consulted local HP dealer who states the issue is 100% software, so no help there.  I did explain that other laptops (including HPs) using the same OS and applications have not had the same issue.  Still no joy.

I have also experiencesd a number of entire system freezes, which can usually be fixed by doing a hard shut down.   

Over the weekend the computer stopped printing and won't recognise any printer that is available on the network.  I'm concerned that this laptop is detrioriating and with it my work output.  So before I contemplate a replacement laptop was wondering if anyone had experienced any of the above issues and if (hoping) a fix was available.  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Desparate

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 - 13-4195nr (ENERGY STAR) laptop. I read that the performance of the laptop is slow. While previewing Excel files in either Outlook or MS Explorer the applications would freeze. In addition to this, the laptop freezes and you have to perform a hard shutdown. Also, I read that the laptop does not recognize the printer. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the laptop freeze while using Excel or randomly on any other application?

The evidence points towards the Windows operating system. However, before we come to a conclusion, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Plug in the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

I suggest you to perform the steps as described in detail from this link. These steps will help to improve the performance of Windows 10.

Finally, if the issue still persists then let us perform a Windows refresh (repair).  Though the steps are provided for Win8, these steps will work for Win10 too. 🙂

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please do not hesitate to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the tip, will definitely try that tomorrow.  After 140 minutes on the phone to HP Support, the laptop is still unable to print.  Didn't get a chance to look into the lower priority issues.

David

HP Recommended

@Desparate

You're welcome David. 🙂

Sure, please feel free to reply Take care! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.