cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
VirginMary
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Does overheating cause slow down of laptop?

HP Recommended

Ok so I've had my laptop for close to 2 years now and just around last year my laptop starter getting really noisy and really hot but my laptop still ran pretty fast. Now moving to just alittle short of a week ago my laptop still tending to get really loud and hot but the thing now is my laptop is starting to act slow for example it takes forever for me to get on a internet page and even once i get on it tends to freeze up for a short time every once and awhile, and if i close my laptop up and re open it it gets even slower so im constantly restarting my laptop.... I just don't know what to do im horrible with technological things so if anyone could help figure out how to make my lap top becoem fast again and not so noisy it would mean alot!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,547 90,424 11,629 24,921
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Heat will definitely slow the machine down and it can shut itself down to protect the CPU. More noise is due to the fan must work very hard. Freezing is just the beginning of more serious problem. Please try the following suggestions to keep your laptop runs cooler:

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Your-Laptop-from-Overheating

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039789/cool-down-an-overheated-laptop.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,356 11,465
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard drive is usually the most common component to fail in a laptop and is also a cause of most of the symptoms you describe. Heat,btw, seems a big contributor to hard drive failure.

You can easily replace a hard drive and for relatively little cost compared to a new laptop. You install a new one,boot with HP Recovery Discs to install Windows ,software & drivers and are good for another couple of years.

A laptop cooling pad with fan aids in keeping a laptop running cooler and making components last longer. I use one under my laptops 99% of the time.

If you need more help with selecting a new hard drive and/or obtaining Recovery Discs just ask!

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
shayan_doust
Level 3
39 39 5 6
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there!

Heat WILL cause many components to fail. The first symptoms of an overheating computer is slowness of computer leading up to error messages which will eventually crash  / Destroy the computer with it's components.

I hope this helps, please select this post as 'SOLUTION' If it helped you!

Kind and best regards,

Shayan Doust

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** Did I answer your Question? Please Mark Me As 'ACCEPT AS SOLUTION'
***Feeling Generous? Please Kudo Me (click on white star) 🙂

*I Help People EveryDay With Their HP Products!)
0 Kudos
ELViento
Level 1
17 15 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended
download two tools
ccleaner
auslogic disk defragment

defrag your drive and fix your registry issues using ccleaner..

and also clean the exhaust fan as suggested by other users..

hope it helps
0 Kudos
techsrollout
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it will cause slow down your laptop I'm a local laptop technician I fix many laptops daily. Find and fix your problem  from here http://www.techsrollout.com/how-to-fix-overheating-laptop-problem/

0 Kudos
Manohpenvy
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @virginmary

ok, below is a analysis for what you can do to fix the laptop :

Problem : usualy after 1-2 years, your laptop needs proper service, just like your car when you take it for service from time to time, problems such as accumulated dust could slow down the performance, the Paste for the GPU ( its basically the glue lets say of the graphics card ) gets melted, so you need to repair that part as that plays a big role on the performance when it comes to gaming. 

Solution  : Get an SSD ( Solid State Drives ) they dont HEAT ! and they are Faster and noiseless ! there is no Physical Disk like the normal HDD, its a FLASH ! just like your memory stick ! and guess what ? they are much cheaper now ! im planning to upgrade my laptop with the service with a SSD and most IMPORTANT install the Windows on it ! if you have 2 HDD i mean, make it primary. that could cost you a bit but definitly worth it ! 

Another solution is to service it at a technician, it should cost about 50-100 max, depends, he should clean it up, replace anything that needs to be replaced, maybe format and re-intall windows ( not suggested though i personally prefer to manually fix windows for instance, instead of format but still a fast solution lets say ) 

Another solution could be to check if your HDD is at 90% usage, usualy the HDD is starting to work slower if its full, so try to at least run a Disk Analyser and identify where is your big DATA and delete or transfer them to an external HDD.

I hope i was at help ! but fortunatly or unfortunatly laptops should be treated like cars 🙂 

0 Kudos
sasikumarss
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I have a website For Internet Tricks and everyday am using my lap for too much of works like browsing and gaming. When am getting some heat in my lap, am also notice that my lap got stuck for open software and websites. keep your laptop in normal temp area and end tasks of unwanted programs. Then you will definitely feel the difference.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation