Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 31 (8,441 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downgrading Vista to XP on a HDX18-1180US

Hi, I hope someone can help.

I have an HP HDX 18-1180US laptop that I need to downgrade to XP.

I have looked at other postings and thanks to Daniel_Potyrala I have been able to load XP and most of the drivers I need, and the system seems to run OK.

However I still have 3 Base System Devices, 1 Unknown Device, and 1 USB Device that are having driver problems, and I just found out that my external display port is not working. I can only guess that it is one of the system device problems. Below is the list Daniel_Potyrala posted that I followed to load XP.

Anyone have any ideas.

Drivers:

Intel Chipset,(install and reboot before other drivers) here

Intel Matrix Storage Manager here
NVIDIA GeForce 9650GT here

Intel Wireless 5100 here

MS-UAA (required with a reboot before Audio driver) here

IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver,

1. sp41693, vista driver, reported work in XP here

2. sp39671, vista driver, reported works in XP here or here

High-Definition Audio (HDA) Modem Installer and Driver here

.Net Framework(required before HP Quick Lunch Buttons) here

HP Quick Lauch Buttons here

Realtek RTL8168C Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC here

if You have Bluetooth here

Synaptics Touchpad here

ENE CIR (Infrared Reciever) here

if You have web cam Cyberlink YouCam Software here (Your Vista driver)

If you had for 7 unknown devices (buttons drivers), here

Do manual installation

Go to device manager, right click unknown device,

Choose to update driver, No to connect,

Choose install from a list or specific location, Don't search, Have disk,

Browse to the location of machine.inf.

Do it for the rest of unknown devices

Accepted Solution

Re: Downgrading Vista to XP on a HDX18-1180US

Everything is working fine at last! My thanks to Daniel_Potyrala, Toronto699, and Petemichaelw without their help I would still be looking at a useless computer.  I have copyed all of their links below in the hope that it will help the next person to have it all in one place. So, with that in mide I will mark this post as the solution even though I did not do the work. Thanks again for all of your help.

How to install XP on Your model from Daniel_Potyrala

First make Vista backup. All informations how to do it here.

Now You need to slipstream Your Sata drivers (only ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller) with nLite.Here is guide how to do it and here are Sata drivers for You.

Just unrar this drivers with winrar.Be sure also that You are using WinXP SP2 version. If you haven't got SP2 version here you can download this service packand here You have got guide how to slipstream this file with Your system again by nLite.In this program You can even burn Your new XP cd with this driver.

Drivers:

Note: I had to change configuration settings after I installed this to get the external VGA port to work (NeedLotsHelp)

Intel Wireless 5100 here

2. sp39671, vista driver, reported works in XP here or here

Realtek RTL8168C Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC herei

f You have Bluetooth here

Synaptics Touchpad here

Do manual installation

Choose install from a list or specific location,

Don't search, Have disk,

xp pro 32 bit information from Petemichaelw through Toronto699

Upon installation of XP 32 bit with SP3 you should see the following "other devices" in the device manager.
(right click my computer -> properties -> device manager)

Quote:
1. audio device on high definition bus
2. audio device on high definition bus
3. base system device
4. base system device
5. base system device
6. ethernet controller
7. hp integrated module
8. network controller
9. pci data acquisition and signal processing controller
10. sm bus controller
11. unknown device
12. usb device

Drivers In the order I would recommend installing them - you may have to right click and "save link as"

Chipset / Motherboard
1. Intel Chipset Identification - from intel's site
2. Matrix Storage Manager - also from intel's site

Video
9600M GT - (straight from the nvidia website) this works absolutely fine, and includes the hdmi audio driver.

SD Card
JMicro

Audio
IDT High Definition Audio This is an HP release - May 6 2009 (IDT is the devil as far as I'm concerned, no support from the company itself. This driver package has no bass treble adjustment (but it's not like there aren't 1000 other software EQ's to use) it does have is a functioning amber light when the sound is turned off with the button.)

Network
1. Ethernet Controller - (the easy way is the file on the first row)
2. Wireless - from intel
3. Bluetooth "integrated module" you should see this after you activate your wireless (above the keyboard) - do not run setup - just direct driver update to the 32 folder.

ENE CIR - (infrared receiver)
Infrared this is a 7z file - will open with winrar or 7z (a free zip tool)

TV Tuner
Avermedia

Fingerprint
Validity

HP Quicklaunch Buttons
Quicklauch

Software

Fingerprint Download this package (from stefanotn68 in the dv5 thread) and run setup32.exe to install digital persona 4.0

HD DVD
There are 3 parts to getting XP to deal with HD content.
1. The UDF File System
2. A Method of dealing with the copy protection scheme.
3. The proper Video Player and associated codecs (codes used to read / write video)

1. The UDF File System
Blu Ray & HD DVD use a different file system than DVD/CD. This standard is called UDF 2.5, and is available here.
Download, and unzip.
Then rightclick the .inf and select "install".
Reboot. These drivers will allow you to explore HD content, drag and drop, etc.

2. A method of dealing with Copy Protection
This is alot of shenanigans. You bought a disc and you have certain rights with that disc. The people who made the disc are constantly messing about, and in their general opinion, they would really prefer it if you just played the disc, and never backed it up, or stored the information on your computer. As a result, they are constantly messing with the copy protection code built into the HD content, and that leaves us having to periodically update our players, as they suddenly may not be able to deal with the content. There is a solution, and it happens to be in my opinion (and MANY others) one of the most essential apps in existence) ANYDVD - residing in a legal loophole, by not being a dvd burning or ripping application, this software is dedicated to rendering any and all protection methods on your HD disc useless, and it is the king and simultaneously the standard. The content is immediately playable, burnable, rip-able, etc.

3. A proper Video player and appropriate codecs.
HP has chosen to leave XP users high and dry by making Mediasmart disfunctional in XP. There are 2 other possibilities. If you are only interested in playing HD discs on your notebook, and want the most simple solution, I would recommend just using a decent HD player, such as POWERDVD, which works fine in XP. I personally have used POWERDVD, but I prefer a free, more powerful, and more frequently updated alternative. Media Player Classic.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema is a free program, that uses the classic look of the early windows media, and yet is loaded with all the latest codecs, including the latest hi def ones, and gets updated much more often than any of the commercial software. It is part of the K-Lite Codec Pack. That is all you need for any media saved to your HDX, and DVD.

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 31 (8,429 Views)

Hi,

1.About yellow signs:

Did You install chipset drivers first with reboot?

Base system device is a part of chipset software so I think then this is Your mistake here.

I You think then You done that please install it again with reboot and report back about the result.

Next thing. If this will not help then:

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Devices Manager

Click with right button of Your mouse on each yellow sign and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here device id. This way we will know what it is.

2.About graphic:

Try first resolve this issue with yellow signs and then problem with graphic card may not be problem any more.

If not: Have You got updated Bios to the latest version. Download link here. If not You will have to reinstall Vista system from backup which You made. Because this update You can make only in Vista. There were very important updates for this model in last month even for graphic card.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Teacher
Message 3 of 31 (8,453 Views)

Tutor
Message 4 of 31 (8,395 Views)

Thank you for the link Toronto699, The SD driver got rid of all three Base System Device problems, and the Fringerprint driver got rid of the USB device issue.  Now all I have is an Unknown Device - ID "ACPI\ENE0100\4&B310638&0".  Any ideas?
Teacher
Message 5 of 31 (8,392 Views)

make a post here http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=300221&page=574 someone will know the answer
Tutor
Message 6 of 31 (8,379 Views)

I was able to find the display problem, it was a NVIDIA configuration setting. Now the only problem is the Unknown device.

Provost
Message 7 of 31 (8,415 Views)

@NeedLotsHelp,

It's ENE CIR Receiver here

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Tutor
Message 8 of 31 (8,384 Views)

[ Edited ]

Everything is working fine at last! My thanks to Daniel_Potyrala, Toronto699, and Petemichaelw without their help I would still be looking at a useless computer.  I have copyed all of their links below in the hope that it will help the next person to have it all in one place. So, with that in mide I will mark this post as the solution even though I did not do the work. Thanks again for all of your help.

How to install XP on Your model from Daniel_Potyrala

First make Vista backup. All informations how to do it here.

Now You need to slipstream Your Sata drivers (only ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller) with nLite.Here is guide how to do it and here are Sata drivers for You.

Just unrar this drivers with winrar.Be sure also that You are using WinXP SP2 version. If you haven't got SP2 version here you can download this service packand here You have got guide how to slipstream this file with Your system again by nLite.In this program You can even burn Your new XP cd with this driver.

Drivers:

Note: I had to change configuration settings after I installed this to get the external VGA port to work (NeedLotsHelp)

Intel Wireless 5100 here

2. sp39671, vista driver, reported works in XP here or here

Realtek RTL8168C Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC herei

f You have Bluetooth here

Synaptics Touchpad here

Do manual installation

Choose install from a list or specific location,

Don't search, Have disk,

xp pro 32 bit information from Petemichaelw through Toronto699

Upon installation of XP 32 bit with SP3 you should see the following "other devices" in the device manager.
(right click my computer -> properties -> device manager)

Quote:
1. audio device on high definition bus
2. audio device on high definition bus
3. base system device
4. base system device
5. base system device
6. ethernet controller
7. hp integrated module
8. network controller
9. pci data acquisition and signal processing controller
10. sm bus controller
11. unknown device
12. usb device

Drivers In the order I would recommend installing them - you may have to right click and "save link as"

Chipset / Motherboard
1. Intel Chipset Identification - from intel's site
2. Matrix Storage Manager - also from intel's site

Video
9600M GT - (straight from the nvidia website) this works absolutely fine, and includes the hdmi audio driver.

SD Card
JMicro

Audio
IDT High Definition Audio This is an HP release - May 6 2009 (IDT is the devil as far as I'm concerned, no support from the company itself. This driver package has no bass treble adjustment (but it's not like there aren't 1000 other software EQ's to use) it does have is a functioning amber light when the sound is turned off with the button.)

Network
1. Ethernet Controller - (the easy way is the file on the first row)
2. Wireless - from intel
3. Bluetooth "integrated module" you should see this after you activate your wireless (above the keyboard) - do not run setup - just direct driver update to the 32 folder.

ENE CIR - (infrared receiver)
Infrared this is a 7z file - will open with winrar or 7z (a free zip tool)

TV Tuner
Avermedia

Fingerprint
Validity

HP Quicklaunch Buttons
Quicklauch

Software

Fingerprint Download this package (from stefanotn68 in the dv5 thread) and run setup32.exe to install digital persona 4.0

HD DVD
There are 3 parts to getting XP to deal with HD content.
1. The UDF File System
2. A Method of dealing with the copy protection scheme.
3. The proper Video Player and associated codecs (codes used to read / write video)

1. The UDF File System
Blu Ray & HD DVD use a different file system than DVD/CD. This standard is called UDF 2.5, and is available here.
Download, and unzip.
Then rightclick the .inf and select "install".
Reboot. These drivers will allow you to explore HD content, drag and drop, etc.

2. A method of dealing with Copy Protection
This is alot of shenanigans. You bought a disc and you have certain rights with that disc. The people who made the disc are constantly messing about, and in their general opinion, they would really prefer it if you just played the disc, and never backed it up, or stored the information on your computer. As a result, they are constantly messing with the copy protection code built into the HD content, and that leaves us having to periodically update our players, as they suddenly may not be able to deal with the content. There is a solution, and it happens to be in my opinion (and MANY others) one of the most essential apps in existence) ANYDVD - residing in a legal loophole, by not being a dvd burning or ripping application, this software is dedicated to rendering any and all protection methods on your HD disc useless, and it is the king and simultaneously the standard. The content is immediately playable, burnable, rip-able, etc.

3. A proper Video player and appropriate codecs.
HP has chosen to leave XP users high and dry by making Mediasmart disfunctional in XP. There are 2 other possibilities. If you are only interested in playing HD discs on your notebook, and want the most simple solution, I would recommend just using a decent HD player, such as POWERDVD, which works fine in XP. I personally have used POWERDVD, but I prefer a free, more powerful, and more frequently updated alternative. Media Player Classic.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema is a free program, that uses the classic look of the early windows media, and yet is loaded with all the latest codecs, including the latest hi def ones, and gets updated much more often than any of the commercial software. It is part of the K-Lite Codec Pack. That is all you need for any media saved to your HDX, and DVD.

Tutor
Message 9 of 31 (8,067 Views)

Hi all,

First of all, i have bought a hdx 18 1180ES (i'm from spain) and I have followed this guide to get XP on the notebook, but i have a problem with the nvidia drivers, if I install them, XP gets REALLY slow, and there appears some strange horizontal lines and dots of corruption on the screen Smiley Frustrated

If someone can help me, i would appreciate it

PD: Sorry for my english

Provost
Message 10 of 31 (8,101 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Ciberjm,

Go back to Vista system and check if problem will disappear.

Here are all drivers for Vista to Your model.

If Your graphic card will be working ok install Bos update and try to install XP again.

If Your graphic card will still not work correctly update Your Bios.

If Your problems will be still unresolved contact with HP here (just choose Your country) and inform them about corrupted graphic card.

Update Your Bios to the latest version here.

How to do it?

Plug You ac adapter to the computer.

Disconnect from the internet. Switch off any antivirus and firewalls.

Start updating Bios. It may take some time. Don't switch off Your laptop, don't disconnect ac and don't do anything on it when this update is running.

But I think then Your GPU is damaged and Your motherboard must be replaced.

Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 06-11-2009 02:28 AM

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation