cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ashok15 Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers Not Available after system updated HP Envy 15

Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I bought a brand new HP Envy 15 Model: 15-ae108nia. I didnt get any CD when I buy. It came with Windows 10 Home.

since Win 10 home dont have Hyper-V, The 3rd party supplier have downgraded the win 10 home to Win 8.1 Pro.

He didnt back up anything before downgrading process.

Now, I am being told the win 8.1 Pro is genuin and it worked fine for a week then i was getting error message "Display Driver is not working" the machine goes blank for a while. then after 10 days after doing the win updates Most of the drivers have become unavailable like sound, internet drive etc. 

This laptop is high config - 16Gb Ram  and I7 Processor brand new laptop.

1) the problem is with laptop or windows ?

2) what cause this problems ?

3) what are the possibilities, If i want to get the win 10 home as it was before downgrading it to win8 pro ?

Thank you 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
39258 39073 6048 10529
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard to say what causes the problem. Windows 8.1 updates are the likely reason and since I do not know your 3rd party supplier I am not 100% sure you got legitimate software, but that is not likely. I don't understand why the supplier did not go ahead and do the free upgrade to Windows 10 if he bothered to install a legitimate Windows 8.1 Pro, but you can go ahead and do what the supplier should have done. 

Windows 10 driver download page for your machine be sure to select Windows 10 from the pulldown menu. Drivers are posted for 7 and 10 only:

http://support.hp.com/emea_africa-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-15-Notebook-PC-series/8502643/model...

Just do the Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10 and you will have Windows 10 Pro. You only have until sometime in July to do it for free. The other choice is to order recovery disks from HP for your model and wipe it clean. But then you will have Windows 10 Home and no Hyper-V which is the problem in the first place. 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_compatibil...

The posted Windows 10 drivers will work on Windows 10 Pro. Generally the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 is seamless and in your case should be very smooth since yours is a Windows 10 native machine. 

Just start the upgrade from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

If you have no internet on the laptop you are going to have to make a DVD or thumb drive from the Media Creation tool and upgrade using that media. Obviously you have access to a computer with internet or you could not post here. You might also want to put the Windows 10 network drivers on a thumb drive so you are sure you can get on the internet after installing Windows 10. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Ashok15 Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you a lot for your valuable response.

I have access to laptop that has internet connection. The another new laptop has this problem and no Network drive is available. Also, it shows Not Available to Ram and Processor in system properties.

In this case, as you suggested, I should download win 10 network drivers and execute the drivers in problematic system to get internet using Flash Drive/ External Hard Drive and then i should upgrade the machine from win 8.1 pro to win 10 pro.  Am I right ?

If the Win 8.1 Pro currently running in that machine is not legitimate, then will the upgrade to win 10 Pro works  or if yes, wont it create problem in Future ?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105475 96026 14832 22813
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to use the W8.1 drivers and software from the 15t-ae000 on your model except the BIOS and firmware files.

If you have been playing around with drivers, you may want to start with a clean install of W8.1.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-15-ae000-Notebook-PC/7771345/model/8542717

0 Kudos
Ashok15 Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have recovered the system now. this problem occured after window update. 

But I am facing the Display Driver not responding problem. 

May i Know the reason . is it because i have downgraded win 10 to 8 ?

Thank you

Ashok

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105475 96026 14832 22813
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am confused...have you installed Windows 8.1 or Windows 8?

They would use different graphics drivers.

If you installed Windows 8.1 Pro and the graphics gets messed up after an automatic graphics driver update, do a system restore, and hide the graphics driver update the next time it shows up.

0 Kudos
Ashok15 Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry. I have installed windows 8 Pro.

Is it possible to upgrade it to win 10 Pro ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
105475 96026 14832 22813
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, then that is your issue.

There is no graphics driver for W8 so that is why you are having problems with the graphics.

Yes, you can upgrade to W10 Pro.  Here's how...

1. Install the Windows 8 updates from microsoft.

2. Install the free upgrade to W8.1 Pro from the Windows Store.

3. Use the W8.1 drivers I posted from that model above.

4. Do the W8.1 updates.

5.  Get the free upgrade to W10 Pro.

You can probably skip the W8.1 updates and upgrade directly to W10 pro from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you can't connect to the internet, you can use this windows 8 ethernet (wired) driver.   3rd one on the list.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

I don't know what model wireless network adapter your model comes with, but most of the ones HP uses will not work on W8 as there are no drivers.

0 Kudos
Ashok15 Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Frnds,

I successfuly upgraded my machine to windows 10.

But my home screen is black and i cant change the background. 

Please note i am using NVIDIA GE FORCE GTX, I7

thank you

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation