Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Toys4Boys Tutor
Tutor
13 9 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Elitebook 1040 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have read the post by Kurzo and have a question regarding the [/home] partition. Specifically if I have a created a separate partition for windows, documents, can this also be used by Linux as the [/home] partition?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Hi

Not quite sure what you want to achieve, but I will try and give you some relevant info.

You should make/take/create Recovery Media for Windows 7 so that it can be re-installed at a later date if wanted.

If you view the Hard Disk and can take a screen shot to post here it may help to give more targeted advice.

I would expect to shrink the C: and create 3 or 4 more partitions

/

/home

/swap

and perhaps a common data storage area formatted to NTFS.

Then when Mint is installed the common data area can be mounted to use for docs between W`indows and Mint.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Toys4Boys Tutor
Tutor
13 9 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Thank you for the reply.

I just received my Elitebook and as you are probably aware HP is using 4 primary partitions, so based on the aforementioned post and your reply I need to backup the recovery partition to a thumb drive. No problem so far but the SSD in my laptop is only 256 GB and space is a concern. In the guides that I have read it is suggested to allocate 40 or more gig for the {/home} partition which sounds like a lot of space. Your post helps clarify things a bit, specifically sharing the "D" or Documents partition but I'm wondering why I would need so much space allocated to {/home}?

0 Kudos
PhD Student
PhD Student
975 968 31 106
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Hi

If you really want to push...

Do you have independany means of recovery?

Do you need a recovery partition?

Combine root and home, only having 1 linux partition.

Lots of RAM and an SSD, consider a tiny swap file, even no swap at all.

The above are not really my normal setup, but something that could be tried as an experiment.

0 Kudos
Toys4Boys Tutor
Tutor
13 9 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Well there lies a rub, I have started another topic regarding disk image. I am unable to copy the recovery partition to a USB stick, spent about 1 1/2 hrs with tech support with no joy. They are supposed to contact me again today and ultimately will likely have to send me a disc. Not really such a big deal since I planned to image my drive but that too is proving challenging at least. I have tried Paragon Backup, which I have used successfully in the past, as well EaseUS Todo, which said it could not backup this drive. I imagine that I could image by using a program that boots from a Linux Live USB though I have never tried that before. This is a refurbished computer and I'm wondering if there is a problem.

I ordered a 64GB microSD, so will probably bite the bullet and just crete the additional partitions.

Either way thank you for your assistance. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation