cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Dual band wifi adapter replacement

HP Recommended

My notebook: HP Envy 15-j040el

Product NO: E4N80EA

wifi adapter: Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n

I recently bought a N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ MOdem Router (TP LINK TD-W8980) to exploit its two bands.   While my old 6-year old HP Pavilion easily picks up both the 2.4gHz and 5 gHz bands, my HP Envy 15-j040el (bought 6 months ago) picks up only 2.4gHz.   Trawling the internet  regarding this problem, I came to know that my Ralink wifi adapter b/g/n is only 2.4gHz.  Instead,  a b/g/n or a/g/n adpter would be both 2.4 and 5 ghz compatible.  I was indeed very disappointed that a great brand linke HP is chosing to downgrade its wifi adapter in the latest models, when dual band routers are becoming popular with increasing number of wireless devices.

Now my question is:

Is it possible to replace the Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n with a dual band adapter?

What are the replacement models?

Will HP replace it free of cost as I am just 6 months into the 1-year guarantee?

I would not prefer an external dongle.

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 2
22 18 1 6
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP ENVY 15-j011dx with a Intel I5 processor. I read the maintnance manual and notice that it is pssible to upgrade the Wi-Fi card and install a mSata.

I bought a Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Ex (NEWEGG $33) and it was really easy to install and it's working great. Although it worked from the first boot I installed the latest Intel driver that also enable Bluetooth and WI-DI. If you don't need Bluethoth and WI-DI they have the same card with just WI-FI, and cheaper.

I notice that the Wi-Fi was slow when I used a Bluetooth mouse, It drops from 300 Mbps to 81 Mbps, if I turn the mouse off it goes back to 300 mbps. The solution was to lock my router at 5 Ghz (D-Link DIR 628) and now everything is working fine. This is only possible if you have a dual band WI-FI interface and router (that is your case). I use another router for my older devices with just one band.

I understand that it do not void the warranty once is a upgrade but they don't do it for you for free.

I also installed a 128 mSata configured with 32 Gb for cache and 87 Gb for data, as your computer has 12 Gb memory I'm not sure if is possible to install a mSata as cache.

Highlighted
Level 2
26 20 1 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Adrstudio!  Unfortunatley I live in Italy where the fear of import duty and the hassle could be quite discouraging to order from Newegg.   However, here on Amazon and Ebay I have found a few wifi cards, but don't know if the form factor, size, interface etc are standard  for all laptops.  I admit I am no computer expert and would not want to regret having one that does not fit. Could you please check out these cards:

* Intel Centrino Advanced - N 6200 Wireless Network Adapter - LAN MiniPCIe 2.4 / 5 GHz a 300 Mbps Half Mini Card Tray (model 622 ANHMW)

*Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 802.11a/g/n, 2x2, dual-band Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 (model 6235AN.HMWWB)

* Intel Centrino Advanced-N +wimax 6250 (model 622ANXHMW)

*Wireless Mini PCI-E Intel 4965AGN

* Intel Centrino Wireless-N 6235 WiFi Mini PCIe Dual Band 2x2 + Bluetooth

*Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 PCIe Half Mini Card, Dual Band 2.4GHz

*Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 PCIe Half Mini Card, Dual Band 2.4GHz

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
22 18 1 6
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ARJEE, Italy ! Nice !!!

From your list the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 PCIe Half Mini Card, Dual Band 2.4GHz  is the one I got, it does not say about Bluetooth or WI-DI on your list, they have this model with and without Bluetooth. Mine has Bluetooth.

I not sure about the others, I mean Centrino, might work too but I didn't test, is very important to be a Mini, open the ack of your computer and look at the one that is there, must be the same size with 2 connectors, otherwise won't fit.

The AC 7260 has a/b/n and AC which means you be ready for the new routers.

7260 is working just fine but I installed the drivers from Intel not from HP. This weekend I will test WI-DI, wireless screen to HMDI and I will give you a feed back.

Highlighted
Level 2
26 20 1 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks once more!

Since I'm still in guarantee/warranty period, I would not like to tamper with the pc as yet.    From my pc specs, I guess my Ralink has bluetooth integrated.   I am contemplating your 7260 for myself as you have tried it, even though my router is only N not AC.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
22 18 1 6
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again ARJEE,

Just to give a feed back, I just tested Wi-Di on the 7260 card and it works really nice when Wi-Fi is on 5 Ghz, no so good at 2.4 Ghz.

I tested with a NETGEAR Push2TV connect to a TV and a 22'' HP Monitor, it worked really fine, playing YOUTUBE HD Movie, Bluetooth mouse and Wi-Di at the same time.

This card is really nice, 3 in one. But I found that works good on 5 Ghz.

Highlighted
Level 2
26 20 1 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ADRstudio!  Thanks for the feedback on WiDi. 

Which of the four wireless cards did your HP ENVY 15-j011dx originally come with: 

1. Ralink RT3290LE (802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo which I believe I have)

2. Atheros AR9485

3. Mediatek MT7630E

4. Realtek RTL8188EE

On Amazon I found two types of 7260 cards on Amazon (see pics below):

1. 7260.HMWG (1 cut on connector)

2. 7260NGW (2 cuts on connector).

What's the difference? 

What type of connector does your card have (1 or 2 cuts)?

Are both compatible with my HP Envy 15-j040el  whic has Intel HM87 Express chipset + Intel CPU Core i7-4700MQ? 

The HP Maintenance and Service Guide does not speak about the compatibility  of other cards other than the originals. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 2
22 18 1 6
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Arjee,

My original was  Realtek RTL8188EE and the one I brought was Intel 7260HMW IEEE 802.11AC, dual-band, 2x2 Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Mini PCI Ex, there is no G on the code. For wi-fi is important to be dual band and AC.

Mine has only one cut.

I look at Amazon, I don't know if it shows the same for you in Italy (I'm in USA) but there are two, one dual band and onother with one band, and none of then says anything about Wi-Di. As Wi-DI is a additional thing may be they just .... better contact then if you need it, before you buy.

This is the one I got, listed on Intel web site:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html

I'm not sure but looks like the one cut is mini and with 2 cut is longer, bigger size.

The maintenance manual of your computer is the same of mine. What incouraged me was that on HP drivers download screen there is a 7620 driver for my model although is not on the mantenance manual. But I install the Intel drivers for wi-fi and bluetooth and one optional utility for wi-di. I DID NOT INSTALL HP DRIVERS ! I was afraid that it is for a HP 7620 model and I went strait to INTEL drivers, it worked from the first boot on Win 8.1.

One more thing, you may read at Amazon reviews that there is a white list for wi-fi cards, I'm sure that 7620 is included on ENVY 15 white list or if there is a whte list at all. Also, the fact that the 7620 driver is on the list of drivers to download on my Envy model is a prove that it'll work. Anyway if it didn't work I would had returned it.

I'm happy, everything is working fine.

Highlighted
Level 2
26 20 1 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful.  I shall look out for the wifi  cards white list for HP envy 15, as you say.   My fear is that if I get a card that turns out to be incompatible with my system, bios, socket etc.  it will be a waste.    But as you said, I want it AC, dual band, bluetooth (my Ralink is bluetootch combo) as well as widi.   It must have been thrilling to watch your pc content in HD on your TV like Chromecast.  

In case you come across someone who has replaced Ralink RT3290LE with AC 7260 dual band, please drop me a line. 

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
26 20 1 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Adrstudio,

I just received my Intel wireless-AC 7260 dual band mini pci card and insalled it on my HP Envy 15 j040el, and it's working fine with 2.4 and 5 gHz bands.  It took a little time fkor my HP to detect the new hardware and the corresponding driver which I downloaded from the Intel website as you directeed me.  Lager, the PC also updated the BIOS automatically.   It took time to for me to get the card as I had to back out from two online sellers - one on eBay and another online vendor.  When I insisted on the wireless-AC feature, they told me it was merely N. So finally I got it from Amazon.  THANKS A LOT FOR BEING A GREAT HELP.

And now another query!  You also said you installed a "128 mSata configured with 32 Gb for cache and 87 Gb for data."  I am not that technical in pcs.   But, do you think I can also install an mSata on my Envy for fast booting.  When I insalled the 7260 AC, I found an empty slot next to it, but I don't know for what.  Could just check my specs : http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03833704 .

Here's a snap of the underside of my Envy 15.  The slot marked out in red rectangle is the free slot.  The white rectangle is the wifi card (next to batery).  The large blue piece hardware is my 1TB sata HDD. 

Anyone out there who can help me with some useful tip.

Thanks!

Underside Envy 15 j040el.jpg

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation