cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DjeDje Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

During startup Serial number not found.

Hello good anybody please help me with this problem.

My Configuration description. HP-Compaq Presario Notebook model CQ61-240ED

During startup Serial Number not found upper left corner and in the bottom left cornet Press ESC for startup

menu.

First press the ESC key and than select F1 for System Information.

Notebook Model: empty line

Product number: empty line

System Board ID: 306A (no more information)

Serial number: empty line

UUID Number: many zeroes

Product configuration ID: many zeroes

Factory installed OS: non-Vista

Press ESC again to return and startup Windows. After a few seconds the Notebook continue with the Vista Home Premium startup. Error message from Windows: Activation time wil now exceede after 3 days .

Made a Full System Image backup and decided to restore the Notebook with the Recovery procedure.

At the end of the recovery procedure I've got 2 error messages.

1) Inject.cmd [204] Vista is not activated

2) BBClean.cmd [20x] CTOError.flg is detected at the end of BBV process

Decide to continue the recovery and succesfully installed lots of MS Window updates and SP2 but still the warning about the Activation time. Now I have got the message Windows Vista Home Premium installed with a illegal product code number. On the internet found that my problem could caused by a virus.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem ?

Kind regards

Jan van Heck

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,628 4,401 257 819
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello DjeDje.  I understand you're serial information is not being displayed on your notebook.

Unfortunately there is no way for a user to resolve that issue.  The information is "tattoo'd" onto the motherboard using specialized tools.  In order to resolve that issue you'll need to speak with HP Support.  The number for US/Canadian customers is 1-800-474-6836.  If you're in another part of the world you'll need to visit HP Support Worldwide.  However, this will not keep your computer from working but you will continue to see that error.  

This document from Microsoft has the various solutions for resolving this issue of your Windows install saying it is not genuine.

I'll keep an eye out for a reply from you.  I hope you have a great day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

0 Kudos
DjeDje Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello , thanks for your reply.

The Notebook is from my daugther and she lives in a other place and we both live in the Netherlands.

The installed Windows version is Vista 32 version and not Windows 7.

Is there a downloadeble program to do this. Maybe I can solve her problem with TeamViewer.

Regards Jan

ps

In the pasted I worked with HP (Utrecht) too, now Iám happy retiered 😉

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,628 4,401 257 819
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again DjeDje.

That is awesome that you've also worked for HP!  🙂

This document should cover the same steps for Windows Vista.  In cases such as these it is probably most efficient to use the "reactivate by phone" option in the document.  This should resolve the issue with the "Windows is not genuine" error.

However, the missing serial number information can only be resolved by HP Support as it requires specialized tools.  As I said before it shouldn't actually cause you any issues but making the error go away will mean the notebook needs to be repaired by HP.  Here is the HP's contact information for the Netherlands.  

I hope you have a great day Jan.  I'll keep an eye out for another response.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

0 Kudos
DjeDje Top Student
Top Student
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello AttackofZaq,

The lack of BIOS data I can live with. Eventually the Notebook is starting itself after a few seconds without any noticeable difference I have seem so far.

Bringing the Notebook to the HP service will surely take a few (6) weeks, and I ask myself whether it is this Notebook of 4 years still so worth to spend so much money on it. I had actually hoped to be able to solve this problem myself.

What I don't know what the relationship is between the lack of data in the BIOS and the Windows Activation expiration period.

To be able to carry out your suggestions, I have the following problem;

1) The Notebook right now is with my daughter at home and so not within my direct reach for this moment.
2) I do not expect any help from Microsoft because this Notebook is a OEM version of Vista is installed.

3) The Product Activation Key sticker on the underside of the Notebook is completely unreadable. And my daugther did not write it down anywhere. But I have found the same product key with a keyfinder program, before and after the implementation of the recovery procedure. Still do not know if it's a legal key.
4) I expect the Notebook with me back again in about 2 a 3 weeks.

Can I give have my next comment after that period ?

Kind regards

Jan

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,628 4,401 257 819
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again DjeDje.

The activation by phone method is built within Windows for this sort of situation.  You won't be contacting Microsoft for technical assistance.  HP can not activate your copy of Windows--only Microsoft can.  As long as you really did pull that product key from your original installation of Windows Vista it should work as long as you use it on the same version of Windows Vista.  

Of course you can get back to me in a few weeks!  I will (normally) get an email telling me that you've updated the thread.  However, that sometimes doesn't happen so you may want to send me a private message to let me know you've updated the thread.  

I'll keep an eye out.  I hope you have a great week and an amazing weekend!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation