cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
maverickoffshor
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post

Solved!

Dv5-1235dx integrated Bluetooth problem

HP Recommended

I purchased a Hp DV5-1235DX last week from Best Buy due to an urgent need to replace my old laptop before leaving the country.  I replaced the WLAN PCi card with the Intel n card with no problem and also installed the internal Bluetooth module (part numbers 489822-001 and 483113-001).  The bluetooth module shows up in HP wireless utility but says it is disabled and needs to be enabled in the computer setup utility.  When I go to the computer setup utility by restarting the computer and hitting F10 there is nothing in there with reference to bluetooth.  Device manager has nothing reguarding bluetooth either. When I attempt to install the appropriate driver for the BT it says that there is no bluetooth installed, I assume because it is not enabled in the computer setup utility. 

I tried calling Hp support as well as online chatting with them but they replied with canned answers of updates I have already installed or blaming it on the hardware since I didn't buy it from them.  Then they basically give up, I'm sure that's where their tecnical assistance manual ends and they don't know what else to do. 

So I need some assistance from someone who knows what's going on to get this HP Integrated Bluetooth module working. There is nothing wrong with the hardware, it just needs enabled.

Please help.

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
maverickoffshor
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Forgot to add, the operating system is Vista Ultimate 64bit with all current windows and Hp update center updates.
0 Kudos
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Press F10 on boot and You will be in BIOS. Go to:

System Configuration->Built-in Device Options->Embedded Bluetooth Device Radio switch from disable to enable. Then hit F10 for saving it.

File->Save and again hit F10

If there will not be an option like that in Bios give me Your p/n number which is under Your computer and looks like this.

Message Edited by Daniel_Potyrala on 05-09-2009 07:48 PM
** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
0 Kudos
maverickoffshor
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My p/n is NB163UA#ABA.  There is no option in the bios> system configuration              for built in device options..

Message Edited by maverickoffshor on 05-09-2009 01:20 PM
Message Edited by maverickoffshor on 05-09-2009 01:20 PM
0 Kudos
Leo5311
Level 4
101 99 0 11
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

The Dv5-1235dx model has the following factory installed operating system and devices:

1. O/S : Windows Vista Home Premium 64

2. Device: Wireless 54 b/g

The bluetooth device is an option only and is not included.

In the Setup settings the only available option is the "enable the network adapter " and there is one in the boot option.

Based on the above it seems that your model is upgraded. With regards to the bluetooth, I believed the easiest way is to just use a bluetooth dongle which does not require that you change the settings in the bios or in the system but requires you to install the included driver if necessary only. Besides, these dongles are cheap and readily available in electronics stores and in the web.

Just suggesting a different option for you to decide.

0 Kudos
petenr
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same laptop as you. I purchased it from Best Buy about 3 months ago and wished I returned it while I could. I have nothing but problems with the broadcom 4315 based wireless card inside. It NEVER connects to my wireless network after resume from hibernate or standby. Went through the whole process with HP support for weeks and they were of no assistance. I am a network administrator and use HP business laptops and desktops at work all the time and they are good. I would never recommend a HP consumer product to anyone based on my experience with this laptop.

I found out that HP really locks down the BIOS with certain product IDs for wireless and based on your problem, I'd say blue tooth as well. Because this laptop didn't come with the bluetooth adapter, it's BIOS won't support it. You'd have to try loading the BIOS from another laptop that came with the wireless card and bluetooth adapter you got, but I am not sure they'll even load. There are some websites that talk about hacking some of the HP firmwares to load on other laptops, but you'd fare much better returning the laptop and just getting something else, or go on ebay and get a tiny usb adapter for a few dollars.

My recommendation: return the laptop and don't buy another HP product.

0 Kudos
maverickoffshor
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Petenr,

The first thing I did was to replace the wireless card with the intel next-gen (hp part number 480985-001) .  I purchased this on ebay and got the drivers directly from intel.  Have not had a problem with it and it is super fast.  That part number is a wireless N card with a/b/g retro. Only cost $20.00 on ebay too, just enter the part number in the search and it will bring it up.  Not sure what the guys screen name on ebay was but he was out of Naples, Fl.  Excellent service.  If you decide to do it, download the drivers first along with the intel wireless manager, then switch cards and install drivers.

I have always worked under the theory of nothing is impossible.  Some how i'll get this bluetooth to work with the right persons help and then let you know how.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Potyrala
Level 13
10,920 10,838 772 4,463
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

First: Have You installed drivers for it? If not here are drivers.

Second: Go to device manager. Find on the list Bluetooth device. Check what is there. When You will see HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth click on it with right button of Your mouse and choose switch on.

Third: If that will not help try to update Bios from this link and check if that will make any difference.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
0 Kudos
Leo5311
Level 4
101 99 0 11
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!

I found this link for this particular laptop. It says that bluetooth must enabled in Wireless Assistant, Mobility Center and must be the host. It's all being laid out in the link.

0 Kudos
maverickoffshor
Author
Level 1
6 5 1 0
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Daniel and leo,

I have already tried all of that.  Diveres won't install because the computer thinks the BT module isn't there.  Bios update was done a few days ago but does not address the bluetooth issue.  I have no bluetooth in the device manager but do have a icon in control panel that does nothing and has no info in it.  I need a way to tell the bios to accept the module.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation