Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (6,468 Views)

EN488AA docking station - not charging

[ Edited ]

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum (i dont work for HP) so be nice Smiley Happy

We have had a few docking stations (EN488AA) which have stopped charging the laptop's when they are docked. As an electronics engineer my interest was tweaked and I had to take a look.

The cause of the problem turned out to be a burnt out track on the pcb, which was easily repaired by soldering a small link between the 2 adjacent solder pads. See photo below.

If they are out of warranty its well worth letting someone handy with a soldering iron taking a look, the only tricky bit is getting the little connector plugs for the power switch and release button LED's in and out (you can do it with a pair of long tweezers).

docking

Message Edited by Bulldog_Cymru on 11-25-2009 03:50 PM
Message Edited by Bulldog_Cymru on 11-25-2009 03:53 PM
Student
Message 2 of 6 (5,236 Views)

Re: EN488AA docking station - not charging

That sure was the trick! Tnx!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (2,387 Views)

Hi, just seen your solution. Can you let me know exactly which two bits of solder need to be resoldered please? Very much appreciated.

Top Student
Message 4 of 6 (2,366 Views)

Sorry but I posted this ages ago and can't exactly remember; but if you compare your PCB with the photo you will be able to see where the track has burnt out and where it needs to be replaced.

Student
Message 5 of 6 (1,326 Views)

Thanks for your input on this charging problem.  Your picture of the connection helps.  My PCB has a fine wire connected to where you indicate a blown out connection.  I still don't get a charge when I use the docking station.  Did you find any other areas to look?

doug

Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (1,286 Views)

Sorry Doug I have only done a couple of these and the blown track was the problem each time, and I have not had any other problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation