Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've been looking around the web, but can't find a solution. My ENVY 14 has fan noise just like in the video I found in the link below. I have an i7 processor (like the guy in the video has) which is probably impacting this. I have done an HP system recovery and have the default BIOS. With no programs running, my processor's temperature is normally between 45 and 55 degrees Celsius. When I start using or installing programs (not just browsing the web), it goes up to the 60s. The fan becomes unbearably louder then. My main issue is the noise when just surfing the web, it's very loud.

Would HP be able to fix this if I sent it to them? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWX2xGJZN6g

EDIT: This is a new computer that I've had for less than 2 months. Problem has always existed, it is under warranty.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Bump...

HP Recommended

The problem with new machines is the makers are jamming faster  components and making cases smaller and lighter.  That generates heat.  A lot of it.  Look at the nividia fiasco.  Heat made the components come apart.  In order to dissipate heat, the fan has to run.  The more heat, the faster it runs.  The only thing keeping your machine running at 60 is the fan.  If hp made the fan run slower, (and quieter), your machine would be running at 70 or 80.  Now you're getting hot.

So it's a tradeoff.  Faster and hotter, louder.    Slower and cooler, softer.   So, I guess it just depends on what you want.  

Watch a movie at 1080p full screen and watch your machine get hotter and louder.  

My advice is when your machine is stationery, run it on a fan base.  Your machine will last longer.  Heat is the killer of laptops.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

I like the power, but the fan noise is ridiculous. I'd downgrade to the best i5 if it would keep the dang thing quiet.

HP Recommended

Don't know where you're located or what stores you have access to but when I'm about to buy a new machine, I go to the store and run them through their paces.  Radio shack has hp's, Best Buy, not sure who else.  Right now, I don't know of any free fan control software that can regulate an hp fan.  There is some software that costs about 15 bucks that can regulate an hp fan. Core temp is a good monitor for temps but make sure it's okay for a quad core.  

http://majorgeeks.com/CPUCooL_d214.html

I saw other threads that recommended this one. It has a 30 day trial. See if it works.  If you're not using any processor or graphics intensive applications, then I would say it would be safe to turn down the fan manually.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I too have (had) noisy fan in HP Envy 14 beats Notebook.  Read through all the forum hits found about the noise and lots say nothing can be done.

This morning I applied all updates found using the HP Assistance tool and bingo! Has reduced fan noise by at least 70%!!!

Instead of the fan constantly spinning between midium and full strength it now spins very low to low constantly and noise is reduced hugely!

So if you haven't already upgraded to the latest S/W and drivers from HP Support drivers then do this first.

Jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
HP Recommended
Thank you for this info. I just unpacked my new Envy 6-1010, and the noise made me think I had a defective machine 😞
HP Recommended

Long out of date but still.......

I have a HP Envy 14 (2011) with an i5 460m 2.53 Ghz and the fan noise when the laptop is under stress is noticeably loud.

However there is a solution; change your power plan advanced settings.

Click on your battery icon > more power options > power saver > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > (expand) processor power management > maximum processor state > set this to 30 %.

Doing this effectively decreases the clock speed of the processor  and how hard it works which by extension will decrease the heat it generates and therefore the fan will not have to work as hard and will be quieter.

Please note that I found 30% to be the sweet spot between maintaining a good level of performance for web browsing, word processing etc and keeping fan noise at an acceptable level. You can go lower but performance will decrease - or at least did in my case when I went down to 10% for example.  

One further solution is to change your system cooling policy to passive (the option above processor power management - reduces how often the fan kicks in).

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

the tape thing actually works !!!!!

the problem is they made the intake and outflow vents side by side. so take any tape, around half inch long and put over the exhaust section. start from the divider between intake and exhaust and go towards the exhaust section.the idea is to seperate the intake and exhaust vents with a tape so there is no interference btw the two ( flute effect ??? ).  if u dont know which side is exhaust section, while u r reading this, ur right hand points to exhaust side and left towards the intake side. this will greatly reduce the cpu whine sound. now ur fan will sound like any laptop fan. i had so much trouble with the cpu whine sound, i m posting this as soon as i found this out. love the laptop but hated the buzz sound.

HP Recommended

Wow...!

RT!!!

"Click on your battery icon > more power options --> power saver --> change plan settings --> change advanced power settings --> (expand) processor power management --> maximum processor state > set this to 30 %."

Yippee!!!! Machine started purring(sp?) immediately!!!

Muchos Gracias!!!

Kudos to bhamx2...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.