cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rudmeister
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

ENVY 17 m7-j020dx dual monitors

HP Recommended

I did not realize until after I bought this laptop that there is no docking station available. There is only 1 HDMI port and no other display ports so is it possible to connect 2 monitors to this? Can the HDMI be split into either 2 vga or dvi ports?

ENVY 17  M7-J020dx with Intl HD graphics 4600

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Rudmeister
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Rudmeister,

I understand you are looking to connect ENVY 17 m7-j020dx to dual monitors. Here is a document on the different cables and the output.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02034609

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Rudmeister
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Mrstenter for the reply but this laptop does not have a display port, only a single HDMI port.

Any other ideas out there?

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Rudmeister,

You could use hdmi to the monitor with hdmi. If your computer has HDMI audio, it should be set as the default audio device in Windows audio properties (available from Windows Control Panel). The monitor or TV with HDMI must have speakers to hear audio.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Rudmeister
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I know I can use a single HDMI monitor but I would like to use the same dual monitor setup I have for my prior laptop,

0 Kudos
Mrstenter
Retired
Retired
16,541 17,372 959 2,183
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Rudmeister,

This computer could use a USB- Multi-Display USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA/HDMI Adapter or hdmi only for the dual monitor.

Thanks

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Daveminn
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also just purchased a HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j020dx not realizing there is no docking station for it.  Does anyone know for sure that HP does not make a docking station for this model laptop? 

I really need the ability to work with a real keyboard and large 27" monitor without having to plug a separate monitor and USB keyboard in. Besides, my desk couldn't handle the laptop being opened while connected to exterior devices.

0 Kudos
inezg
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am also interesting in purchasing a docking station for the HP Envy laptop. Please advise to the availability. Are there any docking stations that are Universal that would work? I need to hook up external monitors (2), external keyboard and external mouse.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Rudmeister
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Technically there cannot be a typical docking station because there are no external conections on the laptop to attach to a dock.  The only thing I have found is a usb connected device that will allow 2 monitors as well as extra usb port where you could connect a usb keyboard and mouse.

You can see a review of one here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2053346/targus-universal-usb-3-0-dv-docking-station-review-turn-any-l...

Ops,

Not sure if i can post this link, please remove if necesary and I apologize.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation