Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP.

I am amused with beeing first-time HP customer. I like Omen 15 2017 with GTX 1060, really. 

Most of thi things are fine.

Yes it does not resume from sleep etc, as usual for new notebooks, but it will be sorted out soon as drivers arise, that's for sure.

BUT, I have a SERIOUS question, just for my curiosity and for people who may face the same issue again.

Your Omen 15 does have alluminium top keyboard cover which is not connected to motherboard ground. This is probably due to ESD regulations as HP treats them, according to https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c02807128 you are trying to reduce or eliminate "Tingle current" issue.

By default, from A to Z, form Apple to ASUS 🙂 (sorry no Z, but you have the idea), any metallic plate is grounded to MB zero. MB zero in turn is averaged to mid-outlet level (because no real ground exists).

HP DOES NOT do this.

In effect we see that ESD discharge DOES NOT go to some PROPER path, but discharges randomly into notebook internals where it is not expected.

Please check my great video - I did it 10 times in a row. Discharge turns it off.

There are many more reports on your forums about it. It can be repeated 10 out of 10 times, we have ESD-friendly place here. Not a issue for ANY notebook except HP.

https://youtu.be/SMPReyKN1vM

The solution is simple - to redo the grounding as displayed here. sorry HP for this cruelty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HVkQ5iyBqWqeXrHZ2

However this saves from ESD turns off issue and now I can do it 100 times in a row without any problems. I have found no point to go for warranty etc, because I found no single trace that this plate should be grounded by your design.

It seems that you stay it floating with the effect above in the video.

The other people having the same issue with any latest HP notebook, according to the forums, confirms it.

That is not a support question actually. That is just a warning for some next people and wide-open-eyes question to your electrical engeneers on how had you managed to get to this design.

Does the metal plate REALLY supposet to be let floating and no connection to the ground? With any ESD as a consequence killing the notebook runtime?

Really?

Thanks for your attention, happy (no joking) HP customer. 🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I face the same Problem , and the company doesn't resolve my problem , I contact the support but also they didn't know anything about the issue , Surely it is bad company and Very bad company and never successful experience, a disappointing experience , The company must return our money

thank you Mr.Дмитрий Михайлов

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.