cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HeadlessMac
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EX490 MediaSmart and MAC Pro Server Time Machine Backups

Greetings,

Trying to setup Time Machine backups from an Early 2009 Intel Based Mac Pro running OS X Server version 10.6 (Snow Leopard) running in true 64-bit mode.

The HP client software installs fine, although it does require a reboot of the server. I can then connect to the MediaSmart server and create a backup disk, however, when the software attempts to connect and create the virtual disk it fails. The virtual disk never shows up in Time Machine.

Looking at the System Logs, I am seeing the following Errors from the HP Software:

hpVDProxy[90]: I: virtual disk manager could not communicate VD driver

hpVDProxy[90]: I: virtual disk manager could not setup - waiting 30 seconds

sandboxd[1134]: serialnumberd(1133) deny file-read-data /dev/dtracehelper

sandboxd[1134]: serialnumberd(1133) deny file-read-data /dev/autofs_nowait

sandboxd[1134]: serialnumberd(1133) deny file-read-data /usr/sbin

/usr/sbin/serialnumberd[1133]: SN_Register(): New persistent, network record [tag=xsvr, extra=macpro-xxxxxxxxxxxx.local] registered successfully by pid 1133.

sandboxd[1134]: serialnumberd(1133) deny network-outbound /private/var/tmp/launchd/sock

/usr/sbin/serialnumberd[1133]: launchd did not pass version 1 Mach port (bad launchd plist?)

System Preferences[1192]: .scriptSuite warning for result type of command 'timedLoad' in suite 'SystemPreferences': the type NSNumber ('long') doesn't match the result Apple event code ('doub').

com.apple.kextd[28]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/com_hp_mss_VirtualDisk.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

com.apple.kextd[28]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/com_hp_mss_VirtualDisk.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

com.apple.kextd[28]: Load com.hp.mss.VirtualDisk failed; removing personalities.

The software installs and runs fine on MacPro Laptop running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) in 32-bit mode. There are no problems with the virtual disk showing up in Time Machine or the backup running. Therefore, the only conclusion I can come to is that this is an issue with running OS-X in true 64-bit mode.

• Is there a work around for this using an Add-in or some other hack like the NAS Unsupported Volume hack? 
  • When will HP be releasing client software that is 100% complete Time Machine compatible when running OS X 10.6 in true 64 bit mode? 
Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
dsteketee
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I'm encountering the same issue. 

0 Kudos
3dlake
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with Mac OS 10.5.8. and an EX487 with the new 3.0 HP MSS WHS 3.0 software.   It appears to be a firewall issue.  If I change my firewall settings to "Allow all incoming connections".  The time machine backup volume on the HP MSS will mount.  If the firewall security settings are set to: "Set access for specific services and applications" - the virtual disk will fail to mount every time.  I even have "allow incoming connections" set for the hpVDProxy app that is trying to mount the time machine backup.

So it looks like we need some help from HP on what ports need to be opened up for the HP MSS Time Machine backup feature to run correctly.  Further should update the MSS's Mac client software to correctly open up the required firewall ports during installation.

0 Kudos
bleepjay
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm also running into these issues with Mac OS 10.6.3, EX 487, and the new 3.0 HP MSS WHS Software.

I'm getting the issues with the Disk not mounting when in 64 bit kernel mode, but it mounts fine when in 32 bit kernel mode?

0 Kudos
msm513
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hate to dredge up an old thread, but is there any update to this issue of the mac client not working on 64-bit? Also where can the mac client software version 3.0.2b120 be found? It's not on the HP site and it doesn't automatically update to my MSS. I wondered if this solved the 64-bit problem.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rsaccone
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too would like to be able to back up my two Macs when they are running the 64 bit kernel.  Is there anything that can be done to make this work?  Is there an update coming from HP?

Thank You,

Rob

0 Kudos
revolucian
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyone have any idea if an update is coming soon??  Any solutions for this?

0 Kudos
slsj
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyone?  It looks like HP really dropped the ball on this one. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation