Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Elementary OS and Windows 10 efi dual boot

HP Recommended
350 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Support,

I've installed Elementary OS (Ubuntu based Linux distro), and then Windows 10.

I have * partitions. You can see it on the picture.

part.PNG

First - Don't know what is that.

Second - boot

Third - Windows

Fourth - Saved files, etc.

Fifth - Linux

Sixth - Linux Swap

I''ve used efibootmgr from linux terminal to customize boot order to first GRUB2, second Windows Boot Manager on the next boot, it worked. 

sudo efibootmgr -n XXXX, XXXX

Where XXXX means the hash codes of boot devices. Like 0001, 0002.

Then used this command to make it permanent.

sudo efibootmgr -O -o XXXX, XXXX

But it wasn't. Every time my notebook boot up, it rewrites and first boots Windows Boot Loader, not GRUB.

It is okay, that with Esc, then F9 I can boot to GRUB, but I want my notebook to boot up first to GRUB automatically. From BIOS there is no option. Just Network, USB, internal CD, OS boot manager and hard drive. It wasn't changes, I've tried that too.

Can anybody help me?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,626 9,531 770 3,539
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

What you require is actually possible but requires some work.

Please, review this thread >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/UEFI-vs-Lagecy-boot-order/td-p/5... and follow the instructions in all the links, there is a lot of information.

The information is for Ubuntu but since Elementary OS is based on *buntu it should work.

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** Volunteer *** My location: Europe ***
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,626 9,531 770 3,539
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this one >> http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/UEFI-vs-Lagecy-boot-order/td-p/5...

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** Volunteer *** My location: Europe ***
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation