cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JSV_FIN Top Student
Top Student
1 1 0 3
Message 11 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EliteBook 8560w keyboard and memory

Both my colleague and I have 8560w elitebooks and had to upgrade the memory yesterday. Since HP's own instructions are incredibly lacking and incorrect I wrote my own. The process took longer than I expected as the keyboard latches are fairly tight. I also have photos documenting the process. Here's the instructions:

Instructions for the replacement or upgrade of the primary memory modules in an HP Elitebook 8560w quad-core laptop. The instructions posted by HP are incorrect as of 31.05.2012. (Courtesy of Jouni Valli)

1. Switch the computer off.
2. Turn it over and release the battery with the battery release switch located on the bottom of the laptop.
3. Release the bottom cover with the release switch located next to the battery release switch.
4. Repeat step 3 as this needs to be done twice to release the bottom cover.
5. After removing the cover locate 3 screws with a keyboard symbol next to them. Unscrew them but do not attempt to remove completely.
6. Locate 1 screw near the optical drive with the appropriate disc and lock symbols and unscrew this - do not attempt to remove completely as it is a springed screw.
7. Locate an opening next to this screw that has the disc symbol next to it - it should have a metal tab within. Push the tab outwards hence pushing the optical drive out of the computer.
8. Once removed, this will reveal an opening through which a tool or finger can be pressed against the upper corner of the keyboard. My personal recommendation is to use a plastic tool similar to a credit card and insert the edge of the card under the corner of the keyboard that has been pushed out slightly. Once inserted run the card edge carefully along the UPPER edge of the keyboard, releasing the keyboard latches. They will pop out loudly - there are several of them. I recommend being patient as other means or too much force will snap the keyboard.
9. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LIFT THE KEYBOARD OUT ONCE IT IS FULLY RELEASED: there are two ribbon cables attached to it.
10. (OPTIONAL) Locate the wide ribbon cable. Its socket has two black release tabs on either side. Release them by carefully pulling up. Once released the wide ribbon cable should be free - this will allow you to flip the keyboard over out of the way without having to release the small ribbon cable.
11. The memory modules are now fully visible and can be released similar to the bays on the bottom of the laptop.
12. Assemble in reverse order.

venusray Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 12 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link is no longer available.  Could you please re-post?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102,758 96,834 15,011 23,116
Message 13 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for the 8560w.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03424153/c03424153.pdf

0 Kudos
venusray Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 14 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  🙂

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
102,758 96,834 15,011 23,116
Message 15 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
User089 Top Student
Top Student
4 2 0 1
Message 16 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok the card trick sucks.  First off plastic cards like credit cards are NOT sturdy enough, they bend too much.

what you need is a thin non-sharp butter knife like I used or some other metal that's about as thick as a credit card.  I stuck a small flathead screwdriver in the corner to keep the lip up and then using the technique others have stated (moving it along slowly to the first stronghold, using this knife it snapped VERY easy.  This worked flawlessly so do not use a card, use something like this..see the pics I'm posting below.  (And note because I tried to use a flathead screwdriver in the beginning to "nudge" and scoot along the top perimeter, it caused a little but of nicks as you can see below.  When using a non-sharp edge later like the knife, it did not hurt the paint at all or scrape the metal so just wanted to explain why you see some of the scrapes below by the knife and that it was not the knife that did this). 

Here is a video I created to also to help: How to EASILY Remove Keyboard from HP EliteBook 8570w

photo 3.JPG

photo.JPG

here I'm showing where I swapped out one of the HP 4 gig Dimms with a Kingston 8gb Simm I got from TigerDirect.  Since I had already added 2 more 8gb Dimms outside by the Service Cover, this now makes 28 gigs (because the other one I left in there in this pic (the blue one from HP) is still only 4 gigs...I will have to swap that out later for another 8 to make 32).  But for now 28 works flawlessly.

Putting the keyboard back on is a sinch...snaps in easy.

[Content Removed]

Teacher Teacher
Teacher
105 105 5 21
Message 17 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Instead of a credit card or butter knife, try using a guitar pick.  It has the right amount of stiffness to pry the edge of the keyboard loose without breaking any of the small plastic retention tabs.  We use them here at an internal help desk and they work well for keyboard removal.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
jo73450 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 18 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

it seems that the link to the service manual doesn't work. If you could restore it, it would be great.  I am struggling to remove the keyboard.

Thanks

Jo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hp4Lyfe Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 19 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JSV_FIN Thank you for this .......... Worked for me!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation