cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
G_Oliveira Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EliteBook 8560w keyboard and memory

Dear EliteBook users,

Did anyone try - and succeed - adding some memory module to the primary memory slot underneath the keyboard of an EliteBook 8560w?

I needed some extra memory and successfully added two modules to the slots below the bottom cover. But I needed more, and had to add it to the remaining slot just below the keybord. For that I had to remove the keyboard, but that turned out to be an impossible task.

The user-guide ("Getting Started", p.45 and on) tells you how to do that, but that is definitely not correct. For instance, there is no "keyboard release cut-out", as indicated in p.46. Also the force you have to exert on the keyboard back-side is dangerouly hight (dangerous for the keyboard and for your fingers). Googling for that did not help. In fact, a bit surprisingly, I have found other two user-guides for the same model, all of them with different technics to remove the keyboard, and all of them inapropriate.

To make things worse, HP support in the Netherlands said they could do nothing for me, except sending me the same manuals I already have. And there is absolutelly no available channel to complain with HP about that!

I'd be grateful for any information on that.

Regards.
G.Oliveira.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
Provost Provost
Provost
104685 95236 14671 22564
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may find the actual service manual of more help.

It provides detailed instructions on how to install the memory and remove the various parts to get to the memory module under the keyboard.

See chapter 4

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02844491/c02844491.pdf

Paul

0 Kudos
G_Oliveira Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for you reply, Paul. I have read this service manual before, but it was not much help.

First, it contain some mistakes, like not mentioning that the hard drive should be removed before removing the keyboard in p.64 (though it is mentioned later in p.66), but that is a minor thing. The relevant points are:

1) I think that removing the hard drive will not help removing the keyboard (though I have not tried it yet), just because the hard drive is not over (or below) the keyboard. They are totally misaligned, so I cannot see how pressing in the hard drive area (the so-called "finger hole", p.64) could release the keyboard. Unless I am deeply mistaken, that seems pretty evident. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

2) The manual says "If the keyboard does not easily

disengage, press on the keyboard through the opening in the optical drive area". That was exactly what I did, and if you press there you can actually see the keyboard slightly bending. However, even using the full power of my fingers I could not release it, because it is *strongly* attached to the frame. And, btw, contrarily to what is said in the manual, the points where it is really tightly attached to the frame are in the borders, close to the function keys, and not in the centre.

Additionally, as I said before, I have tried to contact an HP service desk in the Netherlands (0900 117 0000) and ask for their maintenance team to take a look at that (I am willing to pay for that, of course), but after some 20 minutes I was told that could not be: they do *not* do this kind of service, and that is all. I wonder if HP really have a service team in the Netherlands.

Well, I keep waiting for more suggestions.

Regards,

G.Oliveira.

0 Kudos
LaurentP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've the same issue as G_Oliveira and I waiting for a solution to remove my keyboard and be able to upgrade RAM...

Thanks for your help ! 🙂

Best regards from France.

0 Kudos
ynwa Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anyone found a solution to this? I can't remove the keyboard and looking in the service guide is not helping.

It is extremely annoying not being able to access the extra memory slots...

0 Kudos
G_Oliveira Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is the solution I've got: I took the laptop to a repair shop and asked them to do the service. After trying for more than one day, they gave up and phoned me asking me to authorize them to take it to the HP assistance in Rotterdam. I agreed and, as they told me, the HP personnel took *half an hour* to remove the keyboard, using (their words) "a lot of force" that they dare not using. Only the HP dare using that brutal technique because if it breaks, they can easily replace it. And the HP guy still slightly damaged the keyboard and the frame. I could have done a better job myself, if I new it.

So, my advice is *use a LOT of force*. If it breaks, buy another one. Meanwhile, HP is to be blamed for that lousy product and an ever worse assistance.
G.Oliveira.
0 Kudos
philipp Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spoiler

Hi all,

Have anyone found a solution to this problem?

I also cannot remove the keyboard and looking in the service guide is not helping.

I've the same issue as G_Oliveira and I waiting for a solution to remove my keyboard and be able to upgrade RAM...

Thanks for your help !

Best regards Philipp

0 Kudos
LaurentP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've found solution...

remove the screws under the service cover (all three as in the manual)
remove the optical drive

i was VERY reluctant to use too much force poking with my finger through the small hole - but apparently that´s the way to go.

as with my first try it didn´t seem to work i used a 1,5mm plasticcard (hobby materials - pretty much the same stuff used for a creditcard or ec card) and wiggled into the space between keyboard and frame. ran it along that upper space from ESC to PAGE DOWN.
there are 2 or 3 small places where the keyboard seems to hold.
after that i was able to press HARD through the hole and the keyboard popped out.

beware of the cables!

then insert the RAM modules in the second slot there.

good luck ! 🙂

0 Kudos
LaurentP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The most difficult was because specific spurs maintain the keyboard in place as you can see on the below photo.

8560w.jpg

Best regards for everybody !

0 Kudos
LaurentP Honor Student
Honor Student
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Evetybody,

anyone knows where can I buy the backlit french keyboard ? (652683-051 part number)

I didn't succeed to find it in France (I've tried all european HP resellers without success).

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

L@urent.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation