cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
pleccy
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Elitebook 2530p - Screen Brightness issue

Hi,

I have a lovely new 2530p laptop and it's great in every way, except one problem.  The screen is nice and bright at 100% when plugged in to mains power.  However when I disconnect it the screen dims becasue it's running on battery.  When I plug the mains back in, the screen does not revert back to it's original brightness, it stays how it was when running on battery power, even though it says that it's maximum brightness when pressing fn+f10.  I have to reboot to get max brightness back.  Does anyone else have this problem? I'm running XP and the BIOS is the newest F08 revision.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jmared
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the exact same issue.

My guess is that it's due to a bug in the BIOS firmware.

I've been in contact with HP, but they want me to send the laptop in for repairs, an offer i declined for now.

Can someone with F07 or F06 tell us if you're affected by the same problem? 

0 Kudos
jmared
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have now done some further testing, also on a second 2530p.

I am fully convinced that BIOS version F08 is faulty, at least for this specific version of the 2530p.

F06 is OK on both machines

F07 is OK on both machines

F08 causes the brightness issue on both machines, in Linux & Windows. Regardless of ALS setting.

I will file another support case with HP and try to convince them that this needs to be forwarded to whomever is responsible for firmware development.

0 Kudos
DUba
Level 1
2 2 1 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I can also confirm that this seems to be an issue with the F08 BIOS.

I run Windows XP in a corporate environment and started getting (this very annoying) issue after upgrading my BIOS.

Very dissappointed with this HP laptop so far (fan noise, brightness issues)

0 Kudos
DUba
Level 1
2 2 1 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Good news. I just upgraded my BIOS to the latest version F0A and i can confirm that it fixes the issue of low screen brightness on the HP Elitebook 2530p.

Thanks for fixing this.

0 Kudos
pleccy
2 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

That's the fix! thanks

0 Kudos
bpalmer
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

for the uninitiated, how do i upgrade my BIOS with the latest FOA.. what does that mean..could you walk me thru it? this dark screen is a pretty absurd bug to let slip thru, no?  thank you..

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation