cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Sarge57 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elitebook 8440p bios password

Elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,  had to replace motherboard with one bought on ebay.  Ebay seller said up front he didnt know the bios password.  Anyway Everything works ok after finally getting it back together, except the fingerprint reader.  I guess this is linked to the new motherboard, and I dont know if having the bios password will help me or not.  There are a couple of places in the setup menus where I could enable or reset the fingerprint reader.  But if anyone has any better idea as to how to get the fingerprint reader working I may be able to get by without the bios password at all.

i still have the original Motherboard if that makes any difference to anything. Power jack mounting got broken on it.

thanks in advance,

sarge

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost
Provost
26,043 24,635 3,549 7,921
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sarge57

Contact HP and they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/contact_us.html

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Or download these files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu4kdgxm052l87d/AAAMi-kfX4AVH8oTCbsOM4X9a?dl=0

Insert clean USB flash drive.

Then run USB Image tool.

Choose the flash drive then click on RESTORE.

After restore remove flash drive.

Insert flash drive into locked laptop and boot. ”If HDD is installed remove before booting.”

At C:\OUTPUT   type CD..  “Then hit enter”

Type HPBR   “Then hit enter”

First thing is to save your settings.

Select #3 re-program.

Press “S” to save system information.

Type HPBR and hit enter.

Select   “FIRST RUN”

Then select model.

After reboot repeat same as above but this time SELECT “SECOND RUN”

Some instructions here. “If you cannot boot from USB there are instructions to make a bootable HDD.”

http://mazzifsoftware.blogspot.com/2014/01/hp-bios​​-unlock-for-dos.html

More here.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49497-HP-​​Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Utility

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
Sarge57 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the excellent reply and information.

I have spoken to HP and they will send the file.

The process looks a little daunting, I'll let you know how it goes ??

Sarge

0 Kudos
Sarge57 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I got a reply and an SMC.bin file from HP.

Their instructions for this file are different from yours.  They want me to put the file in a clean USB and in The D drive root directory.  MY recovery drive is drive E ?? so I put it in there.

Then they told me I should press windows key + up arrow + down arrow at the same time.

I don't know where I should be when I do this but at shutdown, logged off, and desktop, nothing happens.

HP havent replied to my emails, and it seems there is a 7day limit on the use of this smc.bin file.

Should I ignore the HP instructions and try these ones ?

Thanks for any advice

Sarge

0 Kudos
Sarge57 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, please disregard the last message, I managed to follow HP's instructions and have reset the Bios security ok.

My purpose for trying to reset the bios was to try to get my laptop to recognise the fingerprint reader after I changed motherboards, do I still need to do all that stuff about saving settings first ??

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
26,043 24,635 3,549 7,921
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sarge57

As long as it has been removed then you should be finished.

REO

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation