cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tazzydemon Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 2
Message 1 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Elitebook 8460p Windows 10 drivers.. when?

Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When will the windows 10 upgrade become available for the 8460p (and 8560p)? There are no windows 10 drivers listed at all for this series and Im guessing thats why the upgrade isnt enabled.

I'm thinking of forcing it and finding the drivers myself. Anybody with any experience of this?

27 REPLIES 27
Megamoose Tutor
Tutor
9 9 0 2
Message 2 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ditto on this request.  I've been fighting a restarting issue where the screen blinks just as Windows 10 is booting up after the upgrade.   I had to do a clean install and encountered the same situation after I installed the Windows 8.1 64 hotkeys drivers (since Windows 10 drivers/software don't exist).  I had the presence of mind to create a Restore point for each item I loaded. 

The J-Micron driver for SD card reader, the 3D drive protection sensor, the Intel Active Management Technology (shows up as PCI Serial port) and the fingerprint reader - all do not get recognized by Windows 10.  I have used the 8.1 drivers for SD card reader and fingerprint reader.  I can't find similar 8.1 drivers for the other two. (I don't need the 3D sensor as I've converted to SSD's, and the Intel function is for remote administration).

Given that the hotkeys prove catostrophic, I'm hesitant to try any others.  (I believe the problem is with the auto brightness function that comes with the hotkeys.  Other fn keys work without this installation:  the sleep button, the up/down volume, num lk, prt sc).

Windows 10 does make this old laptop sing.  It is fast.  But I'm worried something burried deep in the machine will come along and scuttle all the work I will need to put into it.

FrodoDefcon Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's not like we bought the cheap stuff HP, I don't care if you mark the drivers an/or OS as unsupported but at least don't be mean...

I suspect this can be new strategy since SSD's prolonge the life of high end laptops extensively. Don't be a DELL like monster please...

0 Kudos
westerdaled Honor Student
Honor Student
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Is there any update on those elusive Windows 10 drivers .   I want get a new laptop for one of my kids and I would be worth getting one of these providing there aren't major issues with the Win 7 -> Win 10  upgrade.

I would have thought resellers would have had to address this since the big corporates don't go refereshing the kit very often.

Daniel

LJG500 Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 2
Message 5 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 8460P machine I purchased just had a copy of Win 64 Professional- no HP installed software. After upgrading the BIOS and system diagnostics to the latest release and upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7- I have had no issues, other than the Validity Driver for the fingerprint sensor. For the later, I forced install of the Synaptics Windows 10 driver (PID 17), and have it working properly with Windows Hello.

Actually, before the Windows 10 upgrade, the USB 3 ports were not functioning- after, with Windows 10 drivers- they functioned correctly.  Purchasing any machine this old required careful testing, evaluation and some element of troubleshooting- given HP's lack of Windows 10 support for this model.

Also, upgrading to an SSD drive, relatively easy with this model, provides a major improvement in performance.

Highlighted
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
12,390 11,182 436 813
Message 6 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tazzydemon wrote:

When will the windows 10 upgrade become available for the 8460p (and 8560p)? There are no windows 10 drivers listed at all for this series and Im guessing thats why the upgrade isnt enabled.

I'm thinking of forcing it and finding the drivers myself. Anybody with any experience of this?

To Answer your question here is what another poster mentions.

WHO said that HP supports upgrading your machine to Win10? I see nothing in your machine's HP Support page indicating that support -- especially since HP provides no Win10 drivers for your machine.

What HP has said is that it will only guarantee that the Win10 upgrade works on any machines made after August 2013.  Is your newer than that?

It was the Win10 Upgrade tool from Microsoft that said your PC was compatible with Win10; HP has nothing whatsoever to do with that tool.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
tazzydemon Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 2
Message 7 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just did a clean install of 10. Its fine out of the box. I dont have the fingerprint driver working yet but I did before on the 10 upgrade - using the Lenove dri ver technique. Will post more.

Dont bother to try the USB boot UEFI / GPT install. You will never get that working. It might work with UEFI/ DVD boot but I gave up and stuck with BIOS/MBR. The BIOS is too old and states clearly that UEFI is unstable and for developement only.

0 Kudos
Associate Dean
Associate Dean
12,390 11,182 436 813
Message 8 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tazzydemon wrote:

I just did a clean install of 10. Its fine out of the box. I dont have the fingerprint driver working yet but I did before on the 10 upgrade - using the Lenove dri ver technique. Will post more.

Dont bother to try the USB boot UEFI / GPT install. You will never get that working. It might work with UEFI/ DVD boot but I gave up and stuck with BIOS/MBR. The BIOS is too old and states clearly that UEFI is unstable and for developement only.

Using other drivers that isn't HP driver listed is DIY and you will have to trouble shoot your own problems. As noted that system is far to old to be stable in Driver for Windows 10 and should you go that route this DIY to fix.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
0 Kudos
alexlaird87 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have just bought a referbished model, I tried to upgrade to W10.

Neither wired or wireless internet will connect and the screen started bugging out to the point it was unusable. Have revert back now, but would definaly appreciate having new drivers to resolve these issues.

0 Kudos
tazzydemon Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 2
Message 10 of 28
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Naturally its not approved but then they are on the official MS repo and not one of those spammy "drivers" sites.

I have read that HP doies not support Windows 10 on Pre 2013 machines, so we are on our own by definition. It does not matter what we do (except maybe to HPs reputation, after all, Im trying to upgrade what was a top-of-the-line machine a mere 4 years ago and is still right up there in I7 speed).

After doing a 7 to 10 upgrade to get the install serial (after the next 10 release you will be able to use your 7 or 8 serial) my 10 install to a new SSD worked more or less perfectly out of the box. I used the ubiqutous Lenovo driver for the fingerprint scanner (but that driver is on the MS Repo too. The only things that dont work (thus far and I havent bothered to fix them yet) are:

1. ProtectSmart 3d Drive Guard drive protection. I imagine the hp windows 8 driver might work but Im now using an SSD anway

2. Ericcson 3G Modem and ancilliaries. Again 8 might work but then Ive never used the device anyway.

The windows 10 repo is here:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/

Of course it must be opened in Internet Explorer and not, oddly enough, in the new Edge browser

Get the Hardware Id  property of the offending device. For this example I tried putting  ‘vid_138&pid_003c’ in the search box. That came back with nothing, but it was because there was no 003c. Just using ‘vid_138’ returned the lot. You will see!! After that you can just get a shopping basket of .cab files to download. Open them into directories and just install the drivers from there. In this case I happened to know that 0017 would work as I has already found it elsewhere via Lenovo.

YMMV.

info.png

catalogue.png

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation