Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have several 8460p with the same issue.

They work fine until you try to connect an external monitor/TV/projector and then the trouble begins.

When using Fn+F4 to establish a dual screen output the external monitor and the built in screen switches between the two as if the PC can not determine the screen to use. On rare occasions it works but it is not reliable. I´ve first encountered this on a fair and when I tried it before the session it worked well. During the session it just started this behaviour. I took it out and replaced the graphic drivers, the BIOS and made sure the resolution was not the issue. It worked well and I returned it to the lecturing room and it started again.

I started to believe the projector was the bad part here so I did not try to use the PC again on that fair but no other computer showed any sign of trouble.

Since then, this was early this spring, I´ve seen and experienced the same problem with several computers of the same type and with different monitor and they all behave the same way.

I have spent some time now and searched the web but nothing I´ve found does explain anything around this and so far no driver update and no other update (including a full installation) has solved this.

The computer are the HP Elitebook 8460p with AMD-graphics.

There are not any other indication of that something is wrong in logs or anything.

Any suggestion of what can be causing this is of help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The initial problem is old, from 2012 actually, and more or less not applicable any more. Some of the more troublesome computers was been replaced with other models back then and the 8460p is more or less used entirely of users who do not have the need for external monitors.

Have not seen this for a long time but we have updated BIOS and drivers a couple of times so the current status is actually "stable".

So we may say that the problem is no more but whatever fixed the issue is unknown.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

i have the same problem with this model with 64bit OS but with Intel graphic cards. i replace everthing: dockinstation, cables, adapters and displays....also i did the last driver update....nothing works....

HP Recommended

I've made som more tests and it still puzzles me.

Got AMD autodetect SW and in some cases it suggest using the HD6400M mobility drivers and download the installation files. In some cases this works but in some not. If you run the downloaded setup files again it might say that it can not install because no such HW exists.

Then I download the Catalyst drivers and they might work and then it usually says that my HW are HD7400M series. And if not in the log you might se no such HW.

And we have a third updated driver from HP that says it is a HD6470M..

Some times it works, some times it doesn´t.

No solution so far.

HP Recommended

hi,

thanks for the replay....yes I do also some more tests, slowly but safe, I'm at the end...:-S

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue wih 8460p notebooks, cannot clone to a beamer while desktop extending works fine. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Thanx.

HP Recommended

Sorry to say no.

I have found that our laptops all uses AMD graphics but every time there is just trial and error to see wich driver to use. And in some cases there just is no solution.

I have some very dissapointed users who wants a new laptop, preferable another model.

HP Recommended

1. download - http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?javax.portlet.begCac...

2. uninstall whatever intel video driver you have.

3. reboot

4. install the downloaded package above (should be 9.17.10.2867 | 30 Mar 2013)

5. reboot

6. test with your projector

- Seems that the newer driver causes issues with the 8460p laptop. Hp doesnt want to admit it, but installing the older driver seems to be the fix.

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the reply.

The initial problem is old, from 2012 actually, and more or less not applicable any more. Some of the more troublesome computers was been replaced with other models back then and the 8460p is more or less used entirely of users who do not have the need for external monitors.

Have not seen this for a long time but we have updated BIOS and drivers a couple of times so the current status is actually "stable".

So we may say that the problem is no more but whatever fixed the issue is unknown.

HP Recommended

well I hate to dispute you, but this is still happening with the newer drivers you have on the hp.com website. and with windows 7, so the origial issue may be from 2012 but he never got a GOOD or solid solution. The above steps I have lined out will allow the 8460p laptop work with a external monitor or projector. If you use the newer drivers the laptop has a tendancy to bluescreen.

HP Recommended

@RubAnADUB wrote:

well I hate to dispute you, but this is still happening with the newer drivers you have on the hp.com website. and with windows 7, so the origial issue may be from 2012 but he never got a GOOD or solid solution. The above steps I have lined out will allow the 8460p laptop work with a external monitor or projector. If you use the newer drivers the laptop has a tendancy to bluescreen.

I guess you are right. This particular model has not been one of the best when it comes to the graphics drivers. The only thing for me has been as I wrote, change models for those with need to connect external projector, and hope for as little trouble as possible for the users still using this machine.

For me this is a support and cost issue. I may not put down so much time and effort on those machines so I took the easy way out. If the issue had been higher (that is we would have not been able to pull it off as we did) , and we had bought more of this model, we would have escalated this to HP quality support.

As it happens I´ve got one of those on my bench again last week and I´m supposed to install our latest image on that one and I´ve already seen that it has some problems with the graphics. But, this one has Intel HD graphics drivers installed.  

And that more or less sums it up for me. There seems to be different graphic cards in these machines and as soon as there is AMD in them I sure got problems...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.