cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
LDA4793
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Elitebook 8770w No Video and Won't Boot

HP Recommended
Elitebook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I have an Elitebook 8770w that is not booting nor outputting video.  Immediately after plugging in the AC adapter, the machine powers up on its own and the fans run at 100%. In addition, the keyboard backlighting briefly works. Front panel LEDs on solid are power and hard drive, with the wireless light solid at times.  Had caps/num lock show a "1" blink code which is usually a CPU issue.  No video on the internal LCD nor external monitor.  Keyboard lights up, but no response when any keys are pressed.

Did a hard reset but it did not help.

Swapped out the CPU and mainboard and tried booting up using only one stick of RAM, no hard drives or DVD, no docking station, no usb devices, and no external monitor.

Same exact problem.  Swapped the new CPU with the original...no change.

HP Business Support is sending a box to ship the unit in for repair.  It's 2 months out of warranty.

I almost have to be missing something here.  

Unit worked flawlessly until the afternoon of the above problem.

Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 667
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
If you swapped everything out with parts, then somethong you didn't swap would have to be the problem.

I've seen monitors and even power switch boards cause problems that I would have sworn were a bad motherboard.

We even had one where the keyboard was keeping the notebook PC from powering up.

A fast fan is usually a symptom of defective memory, but I have seen it caused by an SSD.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
gregwiat
Level 1
5 3 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Memory was fine at one boot and moments later I had this very same issue. Pulled the existing memory upgreade and the system is back to normal thanks.!!!

lallison74
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well interestingly enough that computer went to HP twice and all the components ended up testing okay both times. It got taken out of service for awhile and I scavenged a few parts from it. One of the items was the backlit keyboard. When I removed it, 1 of the 3 ribbon connectors was quite bungled up. The computer I used it on didn't have support for all 3 connectors and the one not used was the connector that was torn up. All worked fine with the other computer.

I bought a new backlit keyboard on eBay for cheap and installed it for kicks.

That seemed to have done the trick, as the computer has been rotated in and out of service for several months now with zero trouble.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation