cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
davipiero
Level 1
13 10 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Enable Dual Channel Memory Support on HP X360 13"

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 13-a048ca x360 Con
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi.. Good Morning.

First of all here is my laptop information:

HP Pavilion 13-a048ca x360 Convertible PC
Serial Number     :   [Moderator edited Serial Number]
Product Number:   G6S98UAR

I have installed a new 4 Gb memory with same spec and brand with the pre-installed one. By the way here is the complete information of my memory as taken from HP hardware check utility:

DIMM:                                    Device Locator         Bottom-Slot 1 (left)

(preinstalled)                     Manufacturer            Kingston

Serial Number           [Moderator edited Serial Number

Memory size               4096 MB

Memory Speed          1600 MHz

Memory Type             DDR3

Type Detail                  Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)

DIMM:                                    Device Locator         Bottom-Slot 2 (right)

(new)                                     Manufacturer            Kingston

Serial Number           [Serial Number edited by Moderator]

Memory size               4096 MB

Memory Speed          1600 MHz

Memory Type             DDR3

Type Detail                  Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)

A software called CPU-Z still tells me that #channel: single. In fact i have installed a new memory with same spec and same brand, haven't I?

Then, i browsed around and found the following documentation:

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Looking through that document i found the following:

Memory: 2 SODIMM slots DDR3L-1600MHz

Support for DDR3L-1600MHz

Support for dual channel

Supports up to 8096-MB maximum on-board system memory

Back to my laptop, I'd like to know how to enable dual channel memory support in my laptop? Can it be done? And how to check accurately afterward to confirm it?

Looking forward to any solution available.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,004 44,780 7,233 12,822
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not much you can do to force dual channel. The only question I might have is what are the part numbers of the 2 modules you used? Looks like the moderator censored the "serial number" of the two chips and I suspect that may have been a product number not a serial number so if you report them again do not call them serial numbers. 

Any difference in density or timing will deny dual channel operation. The only way to be 100% sure you will have dual channel is to install a matched pair from the same kit. 

0 Kudos
davipiero
Author
Level 1
13 10 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The part number that was edited above is unfortunately different.

But here i am again with some updates.

So i have bought another kingston memory, this time i bought the identical twin of the previously i bought.

Check it out in the picture below, the RAM beside the packaging is the original RAM pre-installed inside the laptop.

IMG20150602133637.jpg

Now, i have two exact same memories installed. 2 x 4 Gb

Here is the ss from CPU-Z, now the part number is also the same between those 2 memories:

CPUZ Slot 1.jpg

CPUZ slot 2.jpg

But. the sad part is my laptop is still running in single channel memory mode 😞

Here is the ss from CPU-Z:

CPUZ memory.jpg

I'm running out of ideas why it is stil in single channel, is it the BIOS? is it the motherboard? or else?

The documentation said it supports dual channel memory.

Please, help me..

0 Kudos
Huffer
Level 17
Level 17
45,004 44,780 7,233 12,822
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You have the same thread going on another board and @erico has given you essentially the same advice and I should have qualified a bit more to say the memory has to be 2 identical chips and they have to be on the compatibility list for your model.  Kingston recommends this:

4GB Module - DDR3L 1600MHz

Part Number: KTH-X3CL/4G  

Specs: DDR3L, 1600MHz, Non-ECC, CL11, 1R, X8, 1.35V, Unbuffered, SODIMM, 204-pin

That is low density 8 blocks per side memory

0 Kudos
1029rjmenvy17t
Level 7
891 865 36 123
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why Don't You Stop Using Software That Probably Does Not Work And Go To The System Info In Windows 8.1

Open Run And Type: msinfo32

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation