cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
29 11 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Encrypted ProBook 450 G2 won't boot - BCD error

We have a new ProBook 450 G2 laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. We encrypted the machine using the HP encryption software that came with the laptop. After less than a week of use the use is getting the error "Windows Boot Manager - Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause".

I see the onscreen instructions to insert the Windows installation disk and run a repair. My question is, is this a valid suggestion to fix a laptop that has been encrypted, and if not is there a solution w/o having to reimage the machine?

Thanks!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Business PCs - Compaq, Elite, Pro to Notebook - HP ProBook, ZBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE. - Hp Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Intern
Intern
29 11 1 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As a follow-up to my original post, the encryption software is Winmagic Data Security.  Is there a way to decrypt the drive if I'm unable to boot into Windows?  This can be done using TrueCrypt though I don't see way to do this using the HP drive encryption software.

0 Kudos
pacblu Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hank,  Have you ever found a solution to this problem?  I've not been able to find any means of extracting data off of a  SecureDocs encrypted HD from a computer that won't boot. 

Thanks, Greg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tutor RajeshR6052 Tutor
Tutor
18 18 0 5
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Hank43

The hard drive cannot be decrypted, you can use the link below download the file which will help you recover the data. Once the data is recovered you can re-image the hard drive. I have attached the how to file. 

HTTPS Access:     https://h2.usa.hp.com/hprc

FTP Access  :     ftp://wnmgc1:Magic13$@h2.usa.hp.com

Login:            wnmgc1

Password:         Magic13$  (NOTE: CASE-sensitive)

I am a HP employee
Intern Intern
Intern
23 23 2 7
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please follow these steps listed in this customer advisory and call HP support to get SDWinPE ISO and SDWMGRecovery utility.

http://sawpro.atlanta.hp.com/km/saw/view.do?docId=emr_na-c04677911

Thanks,

I work for HP

I work for HP.
If you find my solution helpful, please click the Thumbs Up!
ConsultaITS Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rajesh

Do yo can share  me the tools SDWinPE ISO and SDWMGRecovery utility???

Regards!

0 Kudos
ConsultaITS Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notebook1

Do yo can share  me the tools SDWinPE ISO and SDWMGRecovery utility??? I cannot dowload this tools.

Regards!!

0 Kudos
jdom Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello. I got the same problem with my 450.

Could you please share the files again (unfortunately they are no longer available)?

(SDWinPE ISO and SDWMGRecovery utility)

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Apofys Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem with Encrypted ProBook 470 G1 - won't boot - BCD error.

HP support, help us and provide SDWinPEx64.iso and SDWMGRecovery package please.

R

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation