Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Brad1957 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

Bought me a new laptop. My wife wants to use my old one. It's the HP Pavilion dv8000.

Thing is that now when I go to turn it on I get a black screen with a blue bow saying Enter Power-On Password. I've never seen this before nor have I had a problem like this with it. Anyone know how I get passed this?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
25082 24757 3539 8198
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

Brad.

When asked for the password hit enter 3 times.

Post the halt code.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
Brad1957 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

Is REO the halt word?

0 Kudos
Brad1957 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

What is the halt code?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
25082 24757 3539 8198
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

Brad.

Turn on your computer.

When it asks for the password just hit enter 3 times.

It should return a HALT CODE or a SYSTEM DISABLED CODE.

Post that code.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

If you need further assistance please start a new post as I no longer will be a part of the HP Support Community.
0 Kudos
Brad1957 Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

I did the enter 3 times. There is no halt code. There is however a error code 09981 which I tried it and I still get the same screen.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
25082 24757 3539 8198
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

Brad try.

tuv   or   hto

Use the code that works to go into the BIOS.

Disable all passwords that are enabled.

If asked for the CURRENT password use that code.

If asked for NEW password just hit enter.

If asked to VERIFY password just hit enter.

Save and exit.

REO

0 Kudos
Liz22 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Enter Power-On Password

I have the hp pavilion desktop computer. The word "power-on password with a key symbol" appear in a blue box with a on a black screen. What does this mean?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation