cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Solved!

Envy 14 Graphics Card

HP Recommended

I was wondering why in the Envy 14 the graphics card is clocked at 450 MHz. In the DV series of notebooks it has the same graphics card, yet it is clocked at 550 MHz. I would think in the premium line of notebooks it would have the same if not higher quality. Thank you for any help

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No one has an answer to this? I ordered an Envy 14 but unless this is fixed I will not hesitate in canceling.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have the same issue with my Envy 17 (as I'm sure every Envy purchaser is experiencing the misrepresentation you've mentioned: HP has undervolted and under clocked their ATI cards, yet it represents that the cards are the same as conventionally branded ATI cards when in reality these under clocked cards perform about 20% less effectively. My 5850m on my Envy 17 is undervolted by about .3 volts and the core clock and memory clocks are set to 100 MHz less than factory spec. On some literature, I saw that 5850m DDR5 models are spec'ed for the memory to run at 2000 MHz. If that's true, then my card's memory is under clocked by 1100 MHz. Unacceptable. Please fix these serious issues via a bios or driver update across all Envy lines, HP.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
77 56 2 3
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bet it is their answer to the heat problem,

but to me, slower is better than overheating,

Why HP not open the interface and let us choice ourselves??

Also, the fan speed.

regards,

Antony Lee
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
57 45 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What video card is in your Envy 14  Mercenex? Is it the Mobility 4650..as you said it's clocked at 450 MHz that makes me think it is...and if so that's odd as my pavilion has a 4650 colcked at 550MHz.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Level 8
Level 8
922 881 66 357
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 can be set to a range of operating parameters while still providing awesome performance.  In order to give customers an overall premium experience on the ENVY14, we chose to offer the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 with a clock speed operating at 450MHz.

With  this GPU clock speed, customers should experience a greater balance of performance, power utilization and thermal efficiency.  This means lower power utilization, less heat and a thinner notebook – all still within a sleek metal form factor.

Regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Regarding: "The ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 can be set to a range of operating parameters while still providing awesome performance.  In order to give customers an overall premium experience on the ENVY14, we chose to offer the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 with a clock speed operating at 450MHz.."

If this card can be set to a range of operating parameters then it should be my choice.  I would like the tools to make the changes.  After all, it's not a Mac.

Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seeing as how the specs of the GPU are not advertised on the box I would consider this false advertising.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
17 16 0 1
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply about this, Sanchertx. I can see why HP would want to control things like this. Evidence from people overclocking their GPUs seemed to be that they wouldn't clock up particularly well, compared to the same models in other laptops. Does that make sense?
Envy 14 | i5-450M | BrightView | 500GB + 120GB SSD
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
Level 8
922 881 66 357
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

thanks ! - this was posted some time ago but I am glad it helped again!

"

Hello,

The ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 can be set to a range of operating parameters while still providing awesome performance.  In order to give customers an overall premium experience on the ENVY14, we chose to offer the ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 with a clock speed operating at 450MHz.

With  this GPU clock speed, customers should experience a greater balance of performance, power utilization and thermal efficiency.  This means lower power utilization, less heat and a thinner notebook – all still within a sleek metal form factor.

Regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation