cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
chaimss Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 15 Battery Not Charging After 1 Year

HP Envy 15 K2T37AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop in June 15, so the warranty just expired a couple of months ago. A few days ago the battery simply stopped charging. It works fine when plugged in (with or without the battery), but when plugged in it displays status as "0% available (plugged in, not charging). When I plug it in the charging light turns orange like it's supposed to, but within 5-10 seconds it turns white, as if it's fully charged. Of course it's not though, as it's at 0%, and if I take the plug out it dies immediately.

I have always used only genuine HP charger/battery, and although I understand batteries lose life, having this happen after 14 months is not normal. Is there any way to fix this? I looked at "HP Assistant," but I don't see any battery diagnostics.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @chaimss

I understand that you are having an issue with the battery on your HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k200 CTO. You have come to the right place to find suggestions, solutions and a helping hand!

Does the battery indicator LED, located near the power icon come on at all?

Please make sure that the AC adapter cable is not plugged into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source. It should be directly into a wall outlet. 

Please try the Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge and the Testing and Calibrating the Battery documentation. 

If you feel this post has helped you, could help others joining in and looking for a solution or you just want to say cheers, please click the Accept as Solution button and/or the Thumbs Up

If you require further assistance, please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and I would be more than happy to do my best to provide another solution. 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
chaimss Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I went through your suggestions and came out with the following:

- The problem is defintiely the battery, not the plug. It works fine with just the plug.

- I've tried cleaning the contacts and recharging, but it still doesn't charge.

- Since the battery is at 0%, I have no way of running the computer on battery power only.

- Lights: As mentioned in my original post, when I plug it in the light turns orange (like it's supposed to) for ~5seconds, then turns a solid white.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @chaimss

Thank you for getting back to me. 

Did you try testing and calibrating the battery using HP System Diagnostics? 

What were the results?

Did you try manually calibrating the battery?

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
chaimss Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, since the battery is at 0%, I couldn't follow the steps requiring powering on the laptop with battery power only. Also, as calibraing the battery just means recharging and discharging it, I obviously wasn't able to do that as the whole problem is that my battery won't charge.

I was able to perform two of the tests that can be done with the computer plugged in. Here's what I got:

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

I am unable to see the images. They are not showing up properly. Could you please try them again?

If you have the AC Adapter plugged in, you can do testing in the BIOS to test the battery and let me know what the results are. 

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

• In the main menu, click to select an option.

Follow these steps to perform the Battery Test:

1. Click Component Tests on the main menu, then click Battery.

2. Click Run once.

3. When the battery test is complete, the results are displayed on the screen. For additional battery information, click Battery Details.

Please provide me with the results of the testing. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
chaimss Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmm, can you see the pictures now?

This is from the HP Support Assistant diagnostic that I ran from within Windows:

Battery Error.JPG

This is from the component test:

20160823_125524 (Large).jpg

And when I click on "Battery Details": 

20160823_125545 (Large).jpg

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

I can see 1 out of 3. The one that I see is the component test that is telling you the battery failed and needs to be replaced. In this case, I would suggest going to the HP PartSurfer, putting in your product number and then looking for a replacement battery that is compatible with your Notebook. 

Please let me know if you are able to order a new battery 🙂

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
chaimss Tutor
Tutor
12 8 0 2
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So it looks like we're back to what I wrote in my original post. "[A]lthough I understand batteries lose life, having this happen after 14 months is not normal." There's no reason this battery should be failing so completely 2 months after the warranty expires. Do I have any recourse, other than buying a new battery, to get it replaced by HP?
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3,486 2,755 184 356
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey! 

I completely understand. You can try and use the following link to create yourself a case number and contact us:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They may have an idea that could help you. 

I hope everything works out for you! 

Take care. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation