Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JonathanP Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Envy 15 - No audio able to be heard, despite volume mixer showing activity.

I have a HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC (LW897AV), running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1.  It is only a little over a year old as I got it in June 2012, so is still under warranty.  Obviously I'd rather not send it back in if I don't have to. 

The day before yesterday I was having no issues, as all normal sounds were present (i.e. Windows start-up/shut-down, as well as able to hear mp3 music played on Media Player).  Yesterday when I started up all was quiet.  I could not hear any system sounds, nor manually force any sounds to be heard.  When I look at the volume mixer, I can see the green bar rising and falling (when playing music) so it seems like the sound is being generated but just not being relayed to the internal speakers and/or headphone jacks.  Likewise when I open the "Sound" window, my default device is the "Speakers and Headphones, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC", and it shows the same activity on the green verticle bars.  I do not use any external speakers.

The audio troubleshooter did not identify any issues.  All drivers/etc appear to be running properly with no problems noted.  I have not installed any new programs in the recent past (but I honestly don't know if some update occured without my knowledge).

Something similar to this happened to me a couple months ago.  Sound randomly disappeared that time too, but came back just as randomly several days later.  Now that it has happened again, I would like to not only fix it but determine the cause so it doesn't re-appear again and again in the future. 

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  And if there is any further information I should provide to give a better view of the situation, just let me know and I'll do my best.  Thanks!
28 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9748 16563
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56501-57000/sp56900.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete,download and reinstall the Chipset driver on the following link.

Chipset Driver - Windows 7.

When this has completed,shutdown the notebook,

Hold down the Power button and Beats button ( together ) for 10 seconds.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let Windows fully load - it will automatically load an audio driver, but just let this complete.  Then open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Tags (1)
JonathanP Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I did exactly as you described, and it solved the problem perfectly.  Thanks for the quick response and clear directions!

I suppose my last question is what caused the problem to begin with, something I did (or didn't) do or just a random glitch that might pop up every now and again?  If it happens again, should I simply re-try the same steps?

Provost Provost
Provost
49213 9748 16563
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working Ok

As to what caused this, I have noticed several similar posts with this issue lately, so if I had to guess I'd say it may well be an OS update - but that is just a guess.

The method I posted is a bit of a catch-all, in so far as it reloads the software and resets the hardware - it may well be that you only needed to remove and reinstall the IDT audio driver.

Certainly, if it does happen again, it's the first thing I'd suggest running through - saying that, I carried out a similar process on my notebook over a year ago and the issue has never re-occured.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

JonathanP Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello again.  Just wanted to let everyone know that my issue re-appeared this morning.  I noticed there were several windows updates installed last night, so suspect that is indeed the cause as was theorized above.  I went through the same steps as recommended previously, and it once again solved the problem.  So thanks once again!

0 Kudos
Inkuyy Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,I have the exact same problem but with HP Envy 14 Spectre. I tried using the instructions here, but the files in the links didn't work for me. I've tried system restore to last available date, but that didn't help. I suspect the audio problems started after an update, but I just didn't notice it right away.

Can you send me instructions for my HP ENVY 14 SPECTRE Notebook PC, Product number: B3S37EA#UUW ?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit opeating system.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5889 450 1223
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Inkuyy

I am linking you the driver page for your computer below. You need only follow the steps @DavidPK provided above but using your own drivers.

HP ENVY 14t-3100 SPECTRE CTO Notebook PC Drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=5275316

Please feel free to re-post if you have any other questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
0 Kudos
Inkuyy Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

the link you provided doesn't work. I'm located in Finland, Europe. Does my IP make a difference here?

I tried finding the drivers myself, but couldn't locate them on HP support.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5889 450 1223
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Inkuyy

I have updated the link in my above post please retry.

Please feel free to re-post if you have any other questions or concerns.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
0 Kudos
Inkuyy Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I found the IDT installer, but there are 4 different chipsets to choose from and I none of them say anything about audio,

so not sure what to install. Help? :)

Chipsets.PNG

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation