cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dbro
2 0 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Envy 15t-j000 hinges are destroying the enclosure. Still under warranty.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an HP 15t-j000 (2013) which is still under warranty coverage until early August.

Earlier this month I noticed that the simple act of opening the computer would cause the laptop's base enclosure pieces to pry apart.  Both hinges are causing this.  The laptop was delivered with very tight hinges.

I tightened the base enclosure screws, but this did not solve the problem.  That was about a month ago.  The threads of the screw closest to the LH hinge are now stripped.

Opening the laptop now produces a 3/16" (4mm) gap.  It's obvious that the hinges are not just loosely attached, but are completely separated from their internal fittings.  For 2-3 weeks, this did not affect the usability of the machine.

Today, the computer failed to turn on because of a fan malfunction.  "The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly."  I got the message to visit www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup, and the option to continue booting.  No go - the computer shut down automatically before it could boot.  I turned the computer on it's side and a piece of black plastic fell out.  This leads me to believe that the overly tight hinges have damaged the hinge's fittings on the enclosure.  Because the hinge and fan are right next to each other, it would make sense that a piece of plastic debris just happens to be preventing the fan from spinning (I think)

I read of a similar case when someone got warranty coverage for a broken hinge.  My question is: can I expect warranty coverage?  Is this a known issue?

To clarify, there has never been any external damage to the laptop.  Everything I am describing has been caused by the normal routine of opening and closing the laptop.

12 REPLIES 12
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 37,895 3,357 11,500
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would give them a call. 

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you live in another part of the world, start here>>Contact HP

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
kt1107
Level 2
26 10 0 7
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, my HP envy Touchsmart 15t-j000 (year and a half old), has a broken hinge(s), parts I think. Today I noticed, the  screen to be bit shaky and loose, and upon closer look realized, laptop bay seems to open wide, exposing a 1/4 inch gap in the aluminium and plastic frame intersects. This seems to occur, whenever I open the laptop screen. I heard a bit of rattling sound, when I opened the ram access bay to check, 2 tiny pieces of broken plastic fell outside. I am an engineer, by profession and I respect and take good care of My gadgets and electronics. This is not even my primary laptop, I use this light and use utmost caution when handling. Its painful to see my $850 laptop fail within 18 months of light & occasional use. I am deeply disappointed. 

My previous 6yr old Sony Vaio runs like champ (which is my primary notebook). No one expects laptops made of cheap components. Non touch models and touch models differ on screen weight. Touch screens are relatively heavy. If this particular models touchscreen was heavy, then HP should 've picked the right chassis and fasteners as part of design. Obviously HP fell short on this one.  Waiting to see HP s response and customer service abilities. Best thing for Hp to do would be to keep their customers is to offer free chassis service for the life of the notebook or replacement notebooks without this issue altogether.

sillypsilocybin
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am done with HP laptops and never buying one again. The laptop has given me trouble since the third month itself. The screw from the bottom keeps falling off. One of my keys stopped working. And last week my display just went off, thanks to the loose hinge. Although my laptop is 2 years old, I was expecting more out of HP than this. They are losing me as a customer for sure. Done!!

Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 2,965 52 155
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
Jakes_SK
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issue. I am exceptionally meticulous with my things. The isnt a scratch on my laptop. It has never been dropped or mishandled in any way. When travelling I put it in a soft cover and then in a laptop bag.  I have been using it for just over a year and the hinge has already broken.

My laptop is currently out of order and I have not been in to work today because of it.

I have had  a compaq, 2 dells, a fujtisu and a samsung before this. All were much better built and more reliable. The overall quality of this hp is bad. While it is very good looking, I am disappointed with the build. I won't buy another one.

Being in South Africa, I won't even try to ask HP for assistance. Service levels are generally very poor here in SA.

I suspect I need a whole new case. Can anyone help with a site where I can order parts ( for delivery to SA )?

Duane_D
Retired
Retired
4,641 2,965 52 155
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
gp-1_nj
3 3 0 0
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I purchased the Envy 15t-j000 on HP website for my daughter heading to college.  Purchase HP Extended warranty & damage coverage as well online same time.  This laptop resulted with fan failure, caused by failing internal plastic piece & jamming fan rotor.  Received 90B error code when booting up.  Noticed that bottom (black) half & top (silver-keybrd side) is separating by screen hinge.  Opening & closing screen would cause severe separation at corner between top & bottom half of laptop enclosure.  This laptop was repaired under HP extended warranty 19 months ago.  Just yesterday my daughter called to inform me the laptop is separating same as it did the first time it failed, next to the hinge.

Prior to the 1st failure of daughter's Envy 15, I purchased a Envy 17-j130us for my son heading to college.  After 12 months of use, this laptop had the same failure, with cooling fan error code 90B annunciated during boot.  Again, there was separation of base enclosure in screen hinge area with resultant broken plastic locking up fan rotor.  This was repaired under a BJs extended warranty.

I purchased these laptops in confidence that HP still made quality products, as they were once known for.  I expected these laptops to last 4 years of undergraduate college term.  Between the 2 HP computers, I spent (invested in trust of HP quality) $2350.00  

Regardless of warranties & extended warranties, I expect that if a product was sent back for a defect, due to no cause by the user, and was repaired in accordance with HP's extended waranty program, that the company would stand by the repair.  I have been on the phone 2 times today, put on hold to transfer to after warranty repair group & held for over an hour before I couldn't wait on hold any longer.

I would appreciate if HP could assist with once & for all correct the issue with my duaghter's Envy 15 so it will at least last until she graduates in June 2017.  Thank you.

kevin-t
Retired
Retired
20,511 15,611 325 972
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gp-1_nj

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
gp-1_nj
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I will be looking for the private message.  Again, appreciate your quick response.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation