cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
6 4 0 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Envy DV6-7300ea Bios Update Issue with SSD

HP Recommended

Hello

I've recently swapped my HDD to the ODD bay and put an SSD in the boot location.  Everything works fine until it came to updating the BIOS to the new F.26 version.  After downloading the update and running the .exe the machine reboots and the normal flashing screen comes up - everything looks as it should and the update verifies. Then the system reboots and all I see is a black screen with the fan running. It does this for about 30 seconds, then shuts down and goes through the same routine. I left it for an hour but no progress so I removed the battery and swapped the HDD back into the main bay. Switched on the laptop and it displayed the "Updating Boot Block" screen and continued to work as normal.

Any idea why it won't go to the "Updating Boot Block" screen with the SSD in as the boot device?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,635 41,882 4,590 12,178
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Were you able to update the BIOS with the OEM HDD in its original SATA port?

Best regards,

erico 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
6 4 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Erico

thanks for replying.  Yes, I was.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
When you start the BIOS update the ROM file does a check of the notebook's configuration. The update coding encountered the unexpected ODD and SSD configuration that your notebook was in went into a loop. When you returned the notebook to its original config that apparently satisfied the BIOS update softpaq and it completed its task. Now we know the results of nonstandard notebook configurations on BIOS updates.

Thanks for posting what happened and the end result.

Best regards,
erico

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate. the Product number
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
6 4 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, there's no solution to this issue and for now if I want to update the BIOS I have to swap the SSD and HDD back then reverse it once the update's complete? At least I know and will simply not update the BIOS until there's a solution (if ever).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That about sums it up. The chances are pretty slim there would be an update that accepts a non-standard notebook hardware configuration like the one you put together.

I am not an HP Employee.

Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Similar problem here.

I use a 256gb mSSD as my system drive (in the slot typically used for the cache).  To update the BIOS, I have to disconnect the mSSD and then boot up.  (I don't have to connect any other hard drive.)  The boot block updates. The computer recognizes that there is no system, of course, then I shut down and put the mSSD back in, and the system boots up as usual.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation