cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Envy M4 - Battery dies during heavy program use, near unresponsive/very slow thereafter

What happened:

On my HP Envy M4-1015dx laptop, I was editing a large image file in Photoshop, likely using a large amount of the scratch disk. In the background I had another Adobe program running though I had not engaged the application in the couple hours prior. Google Chrome web browser was also open in the background, with admittedly a lot of tabs open. So, the load on the computer/processor? was definitely heavy. 

At this point, the battery died and the computer subsequently shut down. I plugged in a power source shortly after, and pressed the power button to turn the laptop on. The laptop booted and went to the welcome screen, I entered my password and the laptop got stuck on the "Welcome" screen that loads prior to opening to the desktop. 

I pressed the power button to turn off the laptop and again to turn it on. At this point everything loaded extremely slowly. The screen where I enter the password moved extremely slow, taking at least 5 - 10 minutes to accept my keypresses and start loading the desktop. 

Using any other application did not work, they became unresponsive. Attempting a system restore took over 30 minutes just to set a restore point and "prepare" the computer for a system restore. I was never able to complete a restore, I got an error during the preparation process. 

Can I do anything myself to try and remedy the problem? It seems like the processor is just overloaded with even the smallest tasks now. Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 6
411 411 20 42
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Envy M4 - Battery dies during heavy program use, near unresponsive/very slow thereafter

Sounds like your HDD died

Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You were correct! Took it to micro center and they ran diagnostics, it was dying. I removed it myself and put it in an engagement, can still access my files, and plan on buying another hard drive for the laptop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

*in a external SATA case
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation