cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
cbrookhart
Level 3
48 27 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Envy M6-K010DX hard drive failure

HP Recommended

The hard drive on my HP Envy M6-K010DX has apparently failed, just within the past 24 hours. I suppose that I should have seen the warning signs and taken action prior to a complete failure -- slow performance, applications not opening, mouse freezing, etc.

My issue here is that this is the SECOND HP computer I've had that has experienced a hard drive failure. The previous HP computer I had was a DV7-3065DX. The hard drive in that computer also failed. The Envy M6-K010DX is just over two years old. This is unacceptable that two HP computers have had the SAME failure at around the SAME time frame. 

I accessed the diagnostic menu and ran a hard drive component test with the assistance of HP support and determined that the hard drive failed a short DST test. At this point, I am really not satisfied with HP products and the fact that I am not able to get any help from HP as far as a harddrive replacement unless I want to either spend the money to have a hard drive sent or spend the money to have the computer sent in. :HalfEyes:

When I was purchasing the Envy M6-K010DX, I had already formed an opinion about wanting to get a different brand given that I previously experienced a hard drive failure. I then decided, well maybe it was just a one time thing. That turned out NOT to be the case, and now I can say -- never again with an HP. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
visruth
Level 15
13,019 12,958 1,699 3,964
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which were the HDD brands that failed?

Hard drive can occur due to many factors, assuming you know them - I have no other suggestions - may be you're unlucky to get two fails successively. That don't happen often though.

0 Kudos
cbrookhart
Author
Level 3
48 27 0 2
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I haven't changed any hardware in the two computers, so whatever hard drive originally came in the two HP computers are the ones which have failed.

For comparison purposes, I also have a Dell Dimension 8300 which is a very old computer. I've had that for over 10 years, and have not had a hard drive failure..

Very unhappy with HP and the hardware quality.
0 Kudos
visruth
Level 15
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As I said , HP don't manufacture hard drives, hard drive brand which was present while you bought it was what I asked - it can be Toshiba, Seagate, Western Digital, HGST etc.

I'm not from HP. I just volunteer here.

Just wanted to know the brands of HDD that failed successively.

0 Kudos
cbrookhart
Author
Level 3
48 27 0 2
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the DV7-3065DX, I had a Seagate 7200RPM 500GB hard drive. It was replaced with a Western Digital, which still works to this day.

In the M6-K010DX, I have an HGST. It appears to be a 5400RPM 3GB hard drive from what I can see on the label.

0 Kudos
visruth
Level 15
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@cbrookhart wrote:

In the DV7-3065DX, I had a Seagate 7200RPM 500GB hard drive. It was replaced with a Western Digital, which still works to this day.

In the M6-K010DX, I have an HGST. It appears to be a 5400RPM 3GB hard drive from what I can see on the label.

Thanks for the reply,

Seagate is pretty good in fails. 

Western Digital is the top HDD I would suggest to anyone.

HGST is also very good - Its from Hitachi , now owned by Western Digital itself - I don't know why it failed for you. Its pretty good in durability.

0 Kudos
cbrookhart
Author
Level 3
48 27 0 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It's unfortunate that I have to get another hard drive. I don't think there is anything I'm doing to cause the drive to fail. Maybe it's time to look at an SSD option.

What do I have to do to reinstall Windows? Since this computer didn't have a CD drive, I don't have a recovery media.

I do have an iso of Windows I bought to install on a new desktop build. Would I be able to use that?
0 Kudos
visruth
Level 15
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's unfortunate that I have to get another hard drive. I don't think there is anything I'm doing to cause the drive to fail. Maybe it's time to look at an SSD option.

What do I have to do to reinstall Windows? Since this computer didn't have a CD drive, I don't have a recovery media.

This is your HP ENVY m6-k010dx Sleekbook Product Specifications, your system came with Windows 8 64bit preinstalled.
You have the option to order Recovery USB from HP directly, but with a charge (~$30). It'll have all the drivers, programs, OS that would bring back the factory settings to your system. You just have to boot from it after SSD replacement.
NOTE: The total capacity of the SSD has to be at least 750GB for Recovery media to work.

I do have an iso of Windows I bought to install on a new desktop build. Would I be able to use that?

Your laptop came with Windows 8 Single Language 64bits Core OEM version operating system (OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer)

The product key for Windows 8 is embedded in the BIOS chip of your system board. So, once the Win 8 is installed, it'll be activated with the product key automatically. Only if the ISO file you're having is Win 8 SL OEM version, would the activation key work. 

Here is a download link for Win 8 64bit Single Language Core OEM ISO for CLEAN INSTALL , I'm not sure if that link works now also. Give it a try. It has a daily download limit too, so be patient.

Download , save it to another PC, then make a bootable USB by mounting this ISO on to the USB by using software like 

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool . You need a USB drive with a minimum of 4GB of free space. (Dont worry, this tool works for Win 8 ISO also).

You can get the additional drivers from here. Download, save this chipset driver also.

Download, save them to the same USB and install it from there during/after Win 8 installation.

You have to first install chipset, restart system - then graphic driver -restart, audio driver-restart, ethernet controller, card reader, Synaptics touchpad , HP wireless button driver in order. For missing drivers, post the Hardware ID after whole installation is completed.

Note: This Manual would help you in replacement of HDD with SSD.

Regards

Visruth

0 Kudos
MrAnonymous1
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This is an old thread but if anyone has this problem i suggest you try this method before buying a new hardrive. I had the same problem on my hp envy m6-n010dx notebook and was able to fix it by doing the following.
Turn on laptop and press escape several times untill a list of options come up. You should see troubleshoot/repair. After selecting this, the hp help program should come up and you should have the option to reset your laptop while saving the files without having to back them up. After running this it may say undoing changes hardrive is locked. After you see this restart your laptop and you should see it state that it is repairing c; drive. It took 2 hrs to repair and even though the percentage doesnt seem to increase from 0 it will. My laptop has been working fine ever since.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation