Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
weef Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy Sleekbook 6-1010US left hinge broke apart

I have previously replied a post under MarkJ60. I open up a new post to make it visible to all the consumers of HP's products. I have experienced the worst customer service ever from HP. Let me restate my problem here.

I own a Envy 6-1010us, bought it back in 2012 October. A couple days ago, when my laptop was turning 1 year and 10 months old, the left hinge snapped off from my screen when I tried to adjust my screen with closing movement, while it was sitting on my desk. No dropping, bumping or even a scratch on my laptop. A well-cared HP hardware broke apart in less than 2 years, with a regular day-to-day usage. What a horrible experience. Even though everything is still functioning, a broken hinge with a cracked screen plastic, now I can't close my lid, can't bring my laptop anywhere other than sitting at home. Of course, I won't complain if it's my fault on misusing it or on a cheap product. But, we are talking about a couple hundred dollars laptop, an American branded HP product.

If you do some searchs online. You can see all the complaints on the broken hinge of Envy series laptops, especially the left hinge. Amazon, pcoworld, and even this HP "official" support forum have tons of complaints on the same thing. Still HP doesn't admit it is a design flaw (as expected), and decided not to stand behind its products. Instead, making money out of the repairs, where the hinge might break again in near future. If you search for other envy 6 hinge problem in this forum, you will see people fixing their hinges two three times and even more.

Despite some people experiecing bad customer services, I decided to call HP customer support to see if there's a chance for them fix this obvious flaw without a charge. I think I don't have the luck. Instead, I got myself a bad attitude so-called manager to repeat the cost to me again and again with such a rude tone.

I previously bought all-in-one desktop, and two pavillion laptops from  HP. After this horrible cheap product experience and customer service. I won't buy any HP products anymore. There is a reason why HP has been dethroned from number 1 pc sales. product quality and customer service quality are getting worse!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
3544 3409 221 568
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Tags (1)
weef Tutor
Tutor
6 5 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Great-Deku-Tree for replying my message. I did not reply to the contact you sent to me in private message as I was contacted by the supervisor of the case manager mentioned above a day after your reply. She offered me a free repair on that call and got my repaired laptop back 8 days later. Bezel, lip cover, and hinge are replaced. I am satisfied. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Susan5068 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mark

I purchased my Envy in 2012 and one year later the hinge broke..luckily it was still under warranty. It was sent in and repaired and is now broken again. The back separates from the front plastic and the screen is compromised..I can't get the icons to work on left click on the bottom of the screen. Must have been damaged by breakage..first of all, why are the hinges plastic?? My other laptops are metal?? I am amazed at how many people have the same problem..I feel like it should be the same as an auto recall and refunds or gift cards to purchase another laptop given..it is so frustrating..I had to reply to you, because your problem was exactly like mine..I never close it. It sits next to my chair on a stuffed lap desk..I lift the entire thing onto my lap, not just the computer..

Well, we will see..I have been a faithful HP customer, but will think twice next time..

Good luck..

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation