Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TS m6 Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Notebook recently started making clicking/grining noise.

Investigating - checking fan and disk - removed back to investigate and clean.  Compoonents look good, no significant dust.

Battery looks lumpy.  After replacing back cover I note that the keyboard looks slightly bowed.

Ran battery diagnostics and the battery reports as good.  Noise stopped after power off, but returned after the system had been on for over 12 hrs.  I think the battery is swelling and pushing on the fan causing the noise.

How can I confirm this?  I don't know what the battery should look like.  Looking at it I can see the 3 cells distinctly, and they seem to be slightly swollen, but not to the point that it is 100% obvious.  It might be just how they look?

If I need a replacement battery, what part number should I look for?

product name: HP ENVY TS m6 Sleekbook

product ID:   E0K45UAR#ABA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Check the battery recall link below and see if your notebook battery is affected.

Link: https://h30686.www3.hp.com/?lang=en-US

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check the battery recall link below and see if your notebook battery is affected.

Link: https://h30686.www3.hp.com/?lang=en-US

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link to the recall site.  I had already checked the recall status.  To check for recall,  I ran the tool and  also checked the manual check process and both said that my battery was not on the recall list.  I think my HP ENVY is about a year older than the latest recall.

I also ran the battery check tool and the battery tool says it is good, but I think that just check for charging rates and voltage etc.

HP Recommended

Read page 32 of: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03935332

for the HP part-number for your battery.

Then, with the part-number, see:  http://PartSurfer.HP.com  to order a replacement battery.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the part info.  Armed with the part number, I was able to find compatible parts online.  The HP Partsurfer helped ID the part, but the part is not available through HP.

Lookin at the images of other 715050-001 batteries, I think mine is definitely convex where it should be concave.

I have ordered a replacement from a vendor that looks reputable.  Hopefully that will solve my problem.

Is there something I should do further?  My laptop mostly sits in one place using wall power.  I generally don't expect

my LI batteries to fail this way.

HP Recommended

> Is there something I should do further?

Until the new battery arrives, I would remove the current battery, and use AC power.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I have received a replacement battery and installed it.  Having a new battery to compare against

really highlighted the extent of the swelling.  The battery is about twice as thick as the new one.  I think maybe this was a fire waiting to happen.

Swollen Battery

HP Recommended

>> my battery was not on the recall list.  

> I think maybe this was a fire waiting to happen.

Yikes!  What an amazing picture.  Thanks for posting it.

It might be good to physically inspect the new battery, once every 6 months, just in case.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.