cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 1 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy x2 Bluetooth/8.1 Issues

HP Envy x2 15-c001dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had this laptop for 9 days now, and for the past 7 days I've tried everything to try to understand why it no longer has bluetooth, it's not turned off, it's not even there.  

In device manager, it's there just not connected.  I've run Windows repair, and it fixes it self, I reboot and I have bluetooth for approx. 3 minutes.  Then it's gone, just vanishes.  I go through the pairing operation again, and again and nothing.  

I've tried system restore, and again I'm blessed with bluetooth..  5 minutes later it's like it never existed.  Device Management shows bluetooth when bluetooth is working, and it's non existant as soon as I loose it.  

Any ideas?  Before I hit the Return to store button?

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Level 15
13,019 12,963 1,698 3,945
Message 2 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Have you updated Bluetooth drivers from HP support site for your specific model?

Could you refer to this thread and check if the workaround provided in there works for you:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Envy-x2-detachable-keyboard-kept-losing-bluetooth-con...

In yet to confirm it in my HP Envy x2 15t that HP has provided me as product loan . I don't have the bluetooth problem you're facing though.

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
32 29 0 1
Message 3 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solution I have so far is while it's in device manager, go into your Intel wireless bluetooth properties, in power management unchecked "allow to turn off to save power"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 4 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm seeing NO bluetooth in device manager at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 5 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nkelley71

Since it's only a week you bought the machine, I'll suggest you contact the dealer or HP directly and get a replacement or case filed with the Support manager.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
3 3 0 4
Message 6 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this problem when I first bought my computer.  After spending some time with support, they suggested I return the computer for repair.  The next day I got a call from a failure analysis group who said they wanted my laptop to analyze, and they sent me a new one, and I returned my original one to them.

Lo and behold, I had the exact same problem on the new computer.  Again I called support and they were basically no help.

The only workaround I could find (without rebooting my computer) was as follows:

1. Go to device manager.

2. Under "Universal Serial Bus contollers" there is one device flagged with the message "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)"

3. Right click the device in #2 and uninstall.

4. Click action-scan for hardware changes

5. Now bluetooth is available.  Go to windows 8 settings-change PC settings-bluetooth

6. Remove the HP keyboard (it says "paired" but still does not work

7.  Make sure your keyboard has the BT light blinking and wait for the PC to discover it.  You can now pair.

It seems ridiculous that this has to be done with a BT keyboard, this is basic technology.

FYI: I also check the "power management" setting as shown on several posts, mine is unchecked and I still have the problem.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 2
32 29 0 1
Message 7 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I figured that out but step #5 doesn't always happen. Bluetooth just never comes back every time. That's my problem
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 8 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seems to work.. but now I have intermittent issues with WIFI. And if Windows does an update, I'm having to repeat the above steps.
I really would like Windows and Intel to work together and play nice, but it seems as though it's a battle against each other.
0 Kudos
Level 15
Message 9 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I've escalated this Bluetooth issue seen in Envy x2 13 & 15 series recently to the concerned in HP.

They'll have to test and replicate this issue and identify the where the bug is ,probably. It'll take time, so let's wait till further communication from HP or some patch comes up.

Regards

Visruth
Highlighted
Level 15
Message 10 of 25
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nkelley71

I got a communication from HP about this. They want to have info on if any of the Windows Update is causing this, which based on what all the members here reporting the issue, is the first possibility to consider.

In your last post you mentioned about an Windows Update possibly causing this issue.

Could you restore the machine to a good point before the issue began and then turn off automatic update, then install each Windows Update one by one, restart system and continue using the machine to see if the Bluetooth issue occur and thereby by identify which "one" Windows Update may be causing this.

It'll be helpful if you could reply with the "KB" number of the specific Update.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5794-windows-update-automatic-updating-turn-off-windows-8-a.htm...

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/25343-windows-update-check-install-windows-8-a.html

@davidjwnam
@ all other members facing this issue:

Could you back up all your data by moving them on to your external hard drive and do a system refresh/factory reset. See if the Bluetooth issue is persisting after turning off Windows Update and not installing any Windows Update coming up in Control Panel.

Then follow the same suggestions I posted above in this post to @@nkelley71 and help in identifying which Windows Update may be causing this. It'll be helpful if you could reply with the "KB" number of the specific Update.

Regards

Visruth
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation