cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
coreym85
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Ethernet Connection Keeps Dropping

HP Recommended
Envy Touchsmart mod#m6-n010dx
Windows 8.1

Ok, so I am suddenly having problems with my network on my laptop. The wifi connects to the laptop just fine and I can use other programs that connect to the internet, but for some reason, I can't get a webpage to load in Chrome or IE for the life of me. So, to solve this problem, I plugged in an ethernet cable. Bam, webpages load! The unfortunate thing is, the ethernet works for about 10 minutes or so then craps out until I use the "troubleshoot problems" function. It resets my adapter and I am off and running again. It's getting extremely annoying and I am hoping one of you fine souls has the solution to my problem. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have to help guide me through this ordeal. 

Thanks in advance!

Corey

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
walshnuc
Level 3
33 33 0 9
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Cory,

This issue sounds a bit different than the one I (and others) had, but check out this thread in the HP forum site. Changing your drivers for the Realteck adapter may help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Realtek-RTL8188EE-adapter-wifi-proble...

0 Kudos
raytek
Level 1
6 5 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Go to network and Sharing center

Click on "Change adapter settings"

Right click on your ethernet adapter

Click properties

Click Configure

Click Advanced

Click Energy Efficient Internet and DISABLE it.

Click OK

This may or may not solve your problem but it worked for me

RobSardu
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for this post! This worked for me too! I can't understand why this feature is there though.

tomstar
Level 4
136 112 4 20
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue for a while now. My ethernet connection would drop for like 3-5 seconds occasionally and then come back on. Some days it would do it more often than others. Sometimes turning the modem on and off seemed to help it. Very annoying.  Disabling Energy Efficient Internet as recommended above has finally fixed it. Thank you!

0 Kudos
JrJoe
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a similar problem where my Ethernet connection kept dropping out every few minutes, only on my HP Notebook.  My older Compaq doesn't have this problem.  I tried all the above suggestions without success.  I eventually found that the WiFi on my laptop was attempting to connect to my modem, shutting off the ethernet line in the process.  My solution was to turn off the WiFi, thereby solving my problem.  My Compaq lacks WiFi capability which is why it never dropped out.  I hope this helps anyone else with this type of problem.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation