cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
b-r Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 2
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Expansion base DVD drive not recognized

Elitebook 2760p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The patient: A new-to-me 2760p with slice battery.  Win 7x64 Pro, a fresh install by seller including HP drivers, and the BIOS looks fresh (2015). System works great, and runs a DVD in a standalone USB box just fine.

I then purchased a like-new expansion base (the newer version with e-sata and DisplayPort ports on back). Docking appears to work, with power/charging and USB port functions routed through the dock working fine. Latching is secure, all the right lamps illuminate, etc.

Problem: the Elitebook will not recognize or play the integral DVD drive in the expansion base. A disk placed in the drive will spin up brefly (the drive's LED lights ~5-10 sec only). No sign of the device being detected in Win7. Ironically, once or twice it somehow played a little, enough to bring up VLC Player. But 99% of the time, no detection, no play.

Troubleshooting to date: Lots of reboots and redocking. Removing the slice battery from being sandwiched between the base and the Elitebook had no effect.

I then pulled the DVD drive out of the base (via the screw under the rubber bumper in the middle of the base). Contrary to HP's expasion base specs & documentation, it is not a PATA but a slimline-SATA drive (ultra thin 9.5 mm). I then bought a dedicated slimeline SATA-to-USB adapter cable ($5 on ebay) ... on it the pulled DVD drive works fine, both on the Elitebook and another laptop!

So it's not the drive itself. I then surfed through the setup/BIOS settings and didn't see anything relevant to the DVD or the dock.  Tonight I have even carefully examined connectors on the dock looking for wayward foreign items or crud.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation