Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Christian_A Tutor
Tutor
12 0 1
Message 1 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

External Dual Monitors and Laptop screen issue EliteBook 840 G1 and 2013 UltraSlim Dock

Hi,

New EliteBook 840 G1 with discrete graphics and 2013 UltraSlim Dock using windows 8.1.

I have actually 2 issues with this

1) I want to use the laptop monitor also as a 3rd screen but i want to change primary (main) display to one of the external monitors but the laptop keeps reverting the primary (main) display back to the laptop.

2) My 2 external screens has since 2 days ago started flickering then going blank and came back again without any flickerin. Extremely anoying. Seems that the graphic card somewhat resets on screen or the other from time to time. Been trying to look at logs without any luck.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1333 97 280
Message 2 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

External Dual Monitors and Laptop screen issue EliteBook 840 G1 and 2013 UltraSlim Dock

ChristianA

Please Update your Bios and Driver

And install HP 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station DisplayPort Hub Firmware

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405365&sp...

Intel Documents, install the monitor .inf deactivate the power safe mode

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4cp-hd4400gfx

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Christian_A Tutor
Tutor
12 0 1
Message 3 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

This seems to work for issue nr. 2 or then it was the "boot" of the docking station that i had to do because the update made it from bad to worse untill i unplugged the powercord to the dock.

Issue nr 1 still the same.

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1333 97 280
Message 4 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ChristianA

3rd screen is not for every Notebook supported

Please check the BIOS Settings and change the Video Memory size to 512 MB

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

0 Kudos
Christian_A Tutor
Tutor
12 0 1
Message 5 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

3rd screen works just fine but i'm unable to set the settings to what i want tehm to be. I got it working once, don't actually know how that was possible but after the reboot hasn't worked. So the all screens working but when i change the primary display to another screen or try to change the places of the screen it always reverts back after a few seconds. I don't seem to get that windows confirmation button about the screen changes. That probably is the problem... but since it works for some others without problem could this be a driver bug?

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1333 97 280
Message 6 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ChristianA

Please Post both Video driver version

Last Intel HD driver Version: 15.33.14.64.3412

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23639&keyword=iris&lang=eng

Beta driver Version: 15.33.0.3464

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23644&keyword=iris&lang=eng

AMD Video Driver and Control Panel

13.152.1.9001-131203A-166343C REV: D  

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/sp65001.exe

For installation uninstall both first

And your Display name

0 Kudos
M_T_Salisbury Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We are also experiencing this problem with the above hardware.  We are using HP EliteDisplay E231 monitors.  Change the monitor setup, it works for ~5 seconds, then reverts back.  Logging off and back on to the computer puts the monitor configuration right however.  We are also experiencing the monitors flickering on and off intermittently.  

I've updated the UltraSlim Docking Station firmware, and graphics driver provided on HP's site to no avail.  I dont' recommend using the driver provided directly by Intel unless you have to, use the manufacturer provided driver only.

I've updated the monitor drivers using the ones provided on HP's site: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?cc=us&cc=us&lang=en&lang=en&sp4ts.oid...

I will test for a day or two and come back to this post...

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1333 97 280
Message 8 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"use the manufacturer provided driver only" does not solve you're problem

Dont forgeht the Display driver and HP Display Assistant Utility

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5362820&sp...

0 Kudos
VictorV Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 9 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have some issues with an external monitor on an EliteBook 840 G1 on DisplayPort.

I have Dell U2410 connected as a secundary monitor to the EliteBook 840 G1 using DisplayPort. When I wake the laptop up after it went into standby when not using it a while, I see the laptop's screen flash black on and off 5 to 10 times and see the Dell monitor mentioning it going into powersafe mode and turning on again many times. At last I finally get the Windows 8 login screen.

After logging in, I notice all of the applications that used to be displayed on the secondary Dell monitor have been moved to the primary laptop screen. The number of flashes of the main screen may have something to do with the number of applications that use to be on the secundary monitor.

Victor

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1333 97 280
Message 10 of 32
Flag Post
HP Recommended

VictorV

Please your Video driver versions intel HD and AMD

Update the bios to Version 01.08

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5405365&sp...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation