Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
D1080 Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Extreme battery drain while turned off

HP ENVY 13-d006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm experiencing extreme battery drain on this laptop.

While turned off, over 3 days it looses 15% charge and is dead within the month.

I contacted HP before and they ran a battery test, it said the battery was OK (I'm only 40 cycles in anyways) and that it's normal for the battery to drain while off. 

But I think 15% in 3 days is not normal, all other laptop makes do not have it this bad.

I think it must be a BIOS issue, one which sending the laptop in will not fix. HP needs to fix this and release an update.

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @D1080,

Welcome to the HP Forums! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that if you power off your notebook the battery will drain 15% over 3 days. When you contacted HP and ran the battery test, it passed. You were advised that it is normal for the battery to drain when the computer is off, but you think 15% is excessive over 3 days. Did you calibrate the battery? Would you please provide the product number or model of your notebook. HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number, Serial Number or Product Number? What is your operating system?

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
D1080 Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows 10

Model: D006NA

It won't let me calibrate the battery because it finds that the battery is OK.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @D1080,

Thank you for the requested information. You should be able to calibrate your battery even though it passes the testing. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10). Are you sure that the notebook is shutting down and not entering sleep / hibernation mode? What is the power switch set to do when pressed?

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
D1080 Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will try completely draining it later in the week then, but I don't think I will get a calibrate option.

It is set to sleep but I never use the button to power it off. I always fully shut it down via windows. At the moment I will see if hibernating uses less battery than a full shutdown.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @D1080,

After doing some further research, would you check this setting. In the bios if you see the options “for providing energy to the USB ports even when the computer is off" is enabled. Disable it and save changes.

When you have resolved your difficulty, would you choose "Accepted Solution" on that post to alert other members and visitors to your success and perhaps help them. To show appreciation for my help. please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
D1080 Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I disabled this a few weeks ago after doing some research, it didn't affect anything. I've also disabled fast boot in windows which didn't make a difference.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HI @D1080,  

Thank you for the update. Did hibernation make any difference?

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
D1080 Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hibernation used 10% a day whilst fully off used 5%, so no improvement.

I tried the manual battery calibration method: after the battery test, there was no calibration option as it passed the test.

Tomorrow I will see if using that method (full charge, full discharge, full charge, test) made any difference.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @D1080

Thank you for the results. Please do keep me updated on your progress.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation