cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
4 4 0 2
Message 31 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

i had the same issue with my G61-420sl

I started getting the issue after a re-installation of Windows on my laptop. 
In the power options, the 'Adjust Screen brightness' option just would'nt show. I googled the problem and the first link provided with a solution that actually worked.

In the device manager, the monitor is installed as Standard where as it needs to be generic

To solve this issue, right click on the standard PnP Monitor and click on Uninstall. Also click on the checkbox that asks for removing the drivers.

After this step, check for Recent Hardware changes. The monitor will install automatically (generic PnP monitor)

You will start to see the Adjust Screen Brightness option in the power options.

For the link that provided the solution: http://superuser.com/questions/400417/brightness-settings-gone-how-do-i-bring-it-back

This resolved the issue on my laptop as soon as i scanned for hardware changes. The function keys also work. (for my laptop, the brightness keys are f7 and f8).

I hope this helps you guys with your issues.

M. Anas Imtiaz

HP G61-420sl

Elec. Engg.

LHR, PK.

Highlighted
Level 2
8 8 1 1
Message 32 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked my monitor driver in Device Manager, and it's a Generic PnP Monitor, so the prior poster's solution doesn't fit this situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 33 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you AnasImtiaz, I hope this works for them, either way I appreciate your post.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 11 0 1
Message 34 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I checked my monitor settings, but mine was already set to generic PNP.  Just out of interest, I still uninstalled it and then searched for new hardware to allow it to be reinstalled, but it had no effect on the problem – F2 and F3 still did not work.  I also hooked up an external monitor and set that as my only display, but again F2 and F3 do not work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 35 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i too have this problem with f2 and f3 on hp Pavilion dm4-3170se Beats edition.

have tried everything.  anyone solved this yet??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
8 8 1 1
Message 36 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I ran the diagnostics as Bookworm suggested and sent them to 'OCATeam@hp.com'.  It's been a over a week, and I haven't heard back from them, so I sent a followup email today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
8 8 1 1
Message 37 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did hear back from HP, but still no resolution.  They want to know what versoin of keyboard software I have.  Sent them screenshot of system Info.  Waiting to hear back on this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
8 8 1 1
Message 38 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My F2 and F3 keys now work.   They started to work after I connected a Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard to my laptop.  This prompted Win 7/MS Update to find software for the keyboard which I downloaded and installed.  After rebooting, I discovered that the F2 and F3 keys now dim and brighten the display.  I know this won't work for others, since it seems to be related to installing the keyboard software, but it somehow restored the keyboard settings which work even though I am not using the external keyboard.

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
12 11 0 1
Message 39 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GYee, you win the prize!!!  Very good work.  Your solution worked for me, as well.  I just happened to have an unused Microsoft Comfort Curve 5000 keyboard sitting around (I use the mouse, but not the keyboard).  I installed a couple of batteries in the keyboard and downloaded the software from the Microsoft web site, and sure enough, the F2 and F3 brightness keys work again!  Interestingly, they stopped working again when I installed the second download from the Microsoft web site (Intellitype).  When I uninstalled Intellitype, F2 and F3 worked again.  The link to the Microsoft software is http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-comfort-keyboard-5000

To summarize, F2 and F3 did not work for brightness control.  They started to work again when I installed the "Mouse and Keyboard Center 2.0 64-bit," stopped working again when I installed "IntelliType 8.2 64-bit for Windows 7," and started working again when I uninstalled Intellitype.

Highlighted
Level 7
Level 7
945 934 45 145
Message 40 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

GYee, I wanted to thank you for posting this solution, I know other people had different solutions work for them but your one seems to have not only helped you but the remaining people who had the issue, I'm going to give you and jammb1 Kudos for the work you did on this issue.

Great troubleshooting from both of you, this is what forums are all about, people helping each other, and that's what you did.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation