Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cushie Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory reset

Hp250 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My partitions and boot manager have been messed up. I have a recovery sector on the hard drive, a set of 5,cds and a windows 8 USB recovery. One error I get is the boot configuratio data is missing or contains errors, another is The drive where windows is installed is locked.

I have tried all the relevant commands via the console to unlock the drive and rewrite the boot sector with no effect.

Windows recovery can't proceed.

I have tried Disc 1 and 5 but they will not boot up.

Hp recovery tells me it can't find a backup.

How can I get the system to do a factory reset (no boot  config data/ partition?)

4 REPLIES
Intern
Intern
40 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory reset

maybe you can find a solution from http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

0 Kudos
Cushie Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory reset

Thanks for that link nicci2, I note the first statement says the recovery manager does not initially work with W10, I also suspect it does not work when the boot sector file mentioned above is corrupted. But there is some help there as a last resort, to get it working.

Before that event I would like to tidy up these partitions. If someone has a recent laptop perhaps tell me the partitions that are necessary to keep my present, up to date functionality.

If eventually I have to do the recovery will ? return to W8 and stuff my W10?

0 Kudos
Cushie Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory reset

Thanks for that link nicci2, I note the first statement says the recovery manager does not initially work with W10, I also suspect it does not work when the boot sector file mentioned above is corrupted. But there is some help there as a last resort, to get it working.

Before that event I would like to tidy up these partitions. If someone has a recent laptop perhaps tell me the partitions that are necessary to keep my present, up to date functionality.

If eventually I have to do the recovery will Recovery return to W8 and stuff my W10?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
40 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Factory reset

If your machine is pre-installed with win8 and upgraded to win10, recovery with the recovey discs will get you back to win8.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation