cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Factory reset

HP Recommended
Hp250 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My partitions and boot manager have been messed up. I have a recovery sector on the hard drive, a set of 5,cds and a windows 8 USB recovery. One error I get is the boot configuratio data is missing or contains errors, another is The drive where windows is installed is locked.

I have tried all the relevant commands via the console to unlock the drive and rewrite the boot sector with no effect.

Windows recovery can't proceed.

I have tried Disc 1 and 5 but they will not boot up.

Hp recovery tells me it can't find a backup.

How can I get the system to do a factory reset (no boot  config data/ partition?)

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 2
40 40 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

maybe you can find a solution from http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that link nicci2, I note the first statement says the recovery manager does not initially work with W10, I also suspect it does not work when the boot sector file mentioned above is corrupted. But there is some help there as a last resort, to get it working.

Before that event I would like to tidy up these partitions. If someone has a recent laptop perhaps tell me the partitions that are necessary to keep my present, up to date functionality.

If eventually I have to do the recovery will ? return to W8 and stuff my W10?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that link nicci2, I note the first statement says the recovery manager does not initially work with W10, I also suspect it does not work when the boot sector file mentioned above is corrupted. But there is some help there as a last resort, to get it working.

Before that event I would like to tidy up these partitions. If someone has a recent laptop perhaps tell me the partitions that are necessary to keep my present, up to date functionality.

If eventually I have to do the recovery will Recovery return to W8 and stuff my W10?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
40 40 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If your machine is pre-installed with win8 and upgraded to win10, recovery with the recovey discs will get you back to win8.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation