cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jumping Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failed HP530 replacement power supply

Laptop spec: HP530, Model HSTNN-C29C

Celeron 1.73ghz

1.5gig Ram,

Windows Vista Home Basic.

Last year I started having trouble with my HP530's power supply. At first it was occasionally not charging the battery when the laptop was running. This would mean that the battery would drop to zero charge and the laptop would suddenly switch off. The problem got worse until the point where it would on sometimes charge, and only if the laptop was turned off.

I put the problem down to bad capacitors in the charger and decided to get a replacement. I got an official HP replacement from the High Street. The part number for this was: 463552-004.

The part looks completely genuine, very much like other HP chargers my friend's have.

I plugged it in to my laptop and it worked great for two days of very moderate use.. Then, on the third day, I plugged it into the wall socket and switched it on to get nothing. There was no light on the laptop to indicate it was charging and the icon on the Windows bar did not even show that the charger was connected. I tried it with a different power supply to wall socket cable, and it stroll did not work.

At this point I switched off the plug outlet at the socket, disconnected the laptop power plug from the laptop and removed the plug from the plug socket on the wall. After I had removed the wall plug and it was well clear from the socket, my hand touched the two non-grounded prongs on the plug and I quite a big electric shock.

To be honest, I am getting pretty disappointed with HP products. My girlfriend recently had an HP Compaq which had a drive and battery fail in the first year of use which required replacements to be issued and the laptop to be out of action for a period. Now all these problems with power supplies. Are HP known for using poor quality components? Power supplies should certainly not be failing within 3 years of purchase, and without question they should not be shocking people within the first couple of days of use.

Can anybody advise me what my next step should be? It is going to be a pig to go back to the retailer, who was based at the other end of the country, and I certainly think HP should take responsibility with this item seeing as it has to be be a manufacturing fault or design flaw that caused the issue.

Robert

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
treisto Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failed HP530 replacement power supply

Yes they're not so good at fiability - all their cheap or main-stream products (laptop, printer) I bought from them dissapointed me faster then the competitor's, in the same amount of time. They sell a laptop 20-50 dollars less than others (similar specs), but on the long run you loose, because the product fails faster.

Never bought expensive HP stuff, so I can't say anything about those.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation