Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
joe_pineapples Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Failing to install the anniversary (1607) update on a 15-ac152sa laptop

Trying to install the KB3185614 (anniversary 1607) update, but getting the 'couldn't complete the updates undoing changes' messages after 100%.  System log shows a 0x8024200D error code.

Tried....

1. uninstalling all anti-virus apps, inc luding cleanup tools afterwards.

2. deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder contents.

3. downloading the update manually from the MS catalog site and installing from that

4. doing an upgrade install using the latest 1607 iso on a dvd from within Windows

Anyhting else I could try before I go for the last resort of a clean install using said dvd?.

thanks

joe

6 REPLIES
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Hope its ok to bump this after nearly 24hrs

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16542 952 2187
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Hi @joe_pineapples,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 

I understand you are not able to run updates on your HP 15-ac152sa Notebook. You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Sorry, I should have added that to the list as already tried it.  Its not that the update is not coming through anyway. its that it fails to install.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44941 4215 10649
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

The simplest way to resolve this is, unfortunately, a bit complicated for some people.

I am a Windows Insider and am currently running Windows 10 Pro Evaluation build 14931. That is a number of versions beyond the Anniversary edition.

I had the same abominable error that you did.  I had to use the ESD file created by Windows  from the update download and convert it to an ISO and  then use RUFUS to create a bootable installer.  The tutorial at the following link explains it. 

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2570-esd-iso-create-bootable-iso-windows-10-esd-file.html

Another option is to roll back to the previous version of the OS that was installed and then update again. That may work for you.

You can show your appreciation or say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Top Student
9 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Thanks Provost, I'll be bookmarking that link for the future.  Unfortunately I ran out of time on this occasion (its a friends laptop) and have used the MS tool 'wushowhide' to hold off the update until I can do them a (full) fresh install with the latest 1607 build ISO.  I did notice that all the HP drivers for this laptop have been updated after the 1607 build was rolled out.  It makes me wonder if this was a response to compatibilty problems found by users and/or HP.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44941 4215 10649
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

OK.

Use the command line to find out which version is currently installed.

You can use the Windows 10 media creation tool to force an update. It will upgrade to the latest build. 14393.10.

YOu will need a USB flash drive that is at least 4 GB. 

http://target.georiot.com/Proxy.ashx?TSID=15093&GR_URL=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fsof...

That is probably the best way for you with your friend's laptop, since you aren't playing around with Insider builds. ;)

You can show your appreciation or say thanks for my help by clicking on the Thumbs up .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation