Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
unclejohnsband Top Student
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fingerprint Scanner not working - VERY CONFUSED!

HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fingerprint scanner for HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl laptop (Windows 7) was still working after install of Windows 10, but then stopped working when Smart Friends initiated a clean install of Windows 10 to fix Office (which was acting wonky).

I have downloaded and installed various drivers, including those on HP website associated with my laptop model,  the lenovo driver, and the driver HP Tech Support told me was the specific driver for my laptop (Validity Sensor 4.3.205.0 -- sp53369).

Nothing seems to work.  Do I need to download software (Digital Persona) for it to work?  Because the tech at HP TECH Support said that the scanner would work with Windows 10 if I installed the correct driver.

I contacted HP Smart Friends and told them all this, thinking that they might no what to do next.  But the tech just mucked around for over an hour re-dowloading the same drivers I already had and a third-party software called Software Informer that I really did not want on my laptop.  In the end the tech told me that the drivers were incompatible with Windows 10 and there was nothing more he could do.  But I not very confident that the tech knew what he was doing.   

Is this hopeless as HP Smart Friends would have me believe?  

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
ThaMac Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 2
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fear not, there is always hope.

Had a similar situation with an EliteBook 2560p. After playing around with several ways and configurations, I was able to make the fingerprint sensor work with Windows Hello to log on to the machine via finger print.

Do not ask me WHY it works, but this is the way the installation does work (for this machine) and as I have an image of the drive of the state before it worked, I was able to repeat the process to make sure this (and only this) is the way it works.

You will need the Lenovo driver https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/l67y44a0.exe and the HP driver package http://whp-aus2.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58900.exe Please be aware that you are proceeding at your own risk. If your configuration is screwed after this, its not on my account.

1. Unistall all the current Validity and Lenovo packages

2. In Device Manager remove the current Fingerprint driver AND delete it.

3. W/o a reboot install the Lenovo package l67y44a0 (Synaptics WBF DDK 5011 (Advanced)

4. Reboot

5. Install the HP package sp58900 (Valdity WBF DDK)

6. Reboot

7. In Device Manager (whatever it shows there, even if it loooks good!) , update the driver for the reader by "Browse my computer for driver software" and "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". There should be only one driver to pick, called "Validity Sensors (WBF) (PID=003c)" which might differ for you.

Step 7 should bring the Fingerprint reader online. If you look into your user profile now, it should show Windows Hello with your finger print as a way to log on.

Now you see, they are both called WBF DDK and this does not make any sense to me (IT guy since the 1990s). But whatever combination I tried, that's the only way it worked on my configuration and it´s still working after the 1511 Update.

EDIT: Added the package links and numbers and the name of the driver.

Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you so much!  will await your numbers so I get it right this time!  : )

0 Kudos
ThaMac Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 2
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

See my original Post, filled in links and numbers. Hope you succeed.

Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help!   Everything went smoothly, except that I failed to getting the driver working in the end (got Code 31 error).  You are the first person to made any real concerted effort to help me, so I really appreciate that despite the outcome!  : )

0 Kudos
Top Student
9 7 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am re-trying.  Quick question:

1) I uninstall and delete Validity Sensor PID=0018  (driver version 4.5.235.0)

2) I install Lenovo  l67y44a0  / Synaptics WBF DDK 5011 (Advanced) and reboot

3) When I open the device manager,  Validity Sensor PID=0018  (driver version 4.5.235.0) automatically re-installs.  Um, should this be happening?

0 Kudos
ThaMac Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 2
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let's see:

a) I dunno, I did not open the device manager at this point, maybe you should not as well

b) Guess you saw the Error 31 MS page #amiright "Code 31: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device"

Either way, try the following: Uninstall every finger print related package AND the driver(s). Does any of those two packets give you any valid driver, which you can install manually afterwards in the device manager? If you look into the device manager, do you even have a "Validity Sensors (WBF)" driver to choose? What does it do when you force it onto the device? Can you even do that? My advice would be to redo the procedure and follow it w/o any deviation (like opening the device manager which triggers a search for devices tsk tsk tsk LOL).

0 Kudos
ThaMac Top Student
Top Student
5 5 0 2
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After the last update of Windows 10, the fingerprint reader only worked by reinstalling the driver over and over again. It failed after two or three uses or so. That was upacceptable. But, I found the final solution. My mistake was mainly, I was installing the wrong driver in the last step. So here is the final solution.

You will need only the Lenovo driver https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/l67y44a0.exe Please be aware that you are proceeding at your own risk. If your configuration is screwed after this, its not on my account.

1. Unistall all the current finger print driver packages

2. In Device Manager remove the current Fingerprint driver AND delete it.

3. W/o a reboot install the Lenovo package l67y44a0 (Synaptics WBF DDK 5011 (Advanced))

4. In Device Manager (whatever it shows there, even if it loooks good!) , update the driver for the reader by "Browse my computer for driver software" and "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". Now the important part: Uncheck the "Show only compatible drivers" an the Synaptics drivers will be displayed.

5. Choose the driver with the PID matching your fingerprint reader type and install it (skip the warning).

6 Reboot

This should bring the Fingerprint reader online. Now here is the catch. It did NOT work for me yet. Desperate as I was, I was forcing the driver onto the device AGAIN. If you look into your user profile now, it should show Windows Hello with your finger print as a way to log on. If you start and it says your finger print reader is not online, force the driver on it again.

After this procedure (I was using the old drive image as the starting point) I was updating the device with the 1511 and the following Windows update rollup. The finger print sensor survived all of it and now after a week (or so) of daily use, I can confirm this solution is stable.

0 Kudos
Aleqeuo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@unclejohnsband wrote:

Fingerprint scanner for HP Pavilion dv6-6047cl laptop (Windows 7) was still working after install of Windows 10, but then stopped working when Smart Friends initiated a clean install of Windows 10 to fix Office (which was acting wonky).

I have downloaded and installed various drivers, including those on HP website associated with my laptop model,  the lenovo driver, and the driver HP Tech Support told me was the specific driver for my laptop (Validity Sensor 4.3.205.0 -- sp53369).

Nothing seems to work.  Do I need to download software (Digital Persona) for it to work?  Because the tech at HP TECH Support said that the scanner would work with Windows 10 if I installed the correct driver.

I contacted HP Smart Friends and told them all this, thinking that they might no what to do next.  But the tech just mucked around for over an hour re-dowloading the same drivers I already had and a third-party software called Software Informer that I really did not want on my laptop.  In the end the tech told me that the drivers were incompatible with Windows 10 and there was nothing more he could do.  But I not very confident that the tech knew what he was doing.   

unclejohnsband:

I don't know if you have solved your issue but I have the same HP machine and was able to solve the problem (the fingerprint scanner is working using Windows Hello without HP software) by installing HP Validity Sensor Driver package SP56169 from the HP website. I am using Windows 10 as upgraded from Windows 7.

Before installing the driver:

1. I uninstalled the Synaptics WBF DDK 5011 package from the Programs menu in the Control Panel. Your entires may be different but I would uninstall anything related to the fingerprint sensor.

2. I uninstalled the Biometric device (Validity fingerprint sensor driver) via the Device Manager. I checked the box to delete drivers for this device.

3. I rebooted the machine. When Windows loaded the Biometric Device entry in the Device Manager was flagged as "not functioning" because Windows could not load a driver for the device.

4. I installed the SP56169 package and the Biometric device was now functioning in the Device Manager. I was now able to access Windows Hello and my previous fingerprint data was still saved.

This is a real pain to deal with and it took me a while to fix it attempting various solutions before this solved the issue. Maybe it will help you.  

Aleqeuo
0 Kudos
Aleqeuo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@unclejohnsband wrote:

unclejohnsband:

I don't know if you have solved your issue but I have the same HP machine and was able to solve the problem (the fingerprint scanner is working using Windows Hello without HP software) by installing HP Validity Sensor Driver package SP56169 from the HP website. I am using Windows 10 as upgraded from Windows 7.

Before installing the driver:

1. I uninstalled the Synaptics WBF DDK 5011 package from the Programs menu in the Control Panel. Your entires may be different but I would uninstall anything related to the fingerprint sensor.

2. I uninstalled the Biometric device (Validity fingerprint sensor driver) via the Device Manager. I checked the box to delete drivers for this device.

3. I rebooted the machine. When Windows loaded the Biometric Device entry in the Device Manager was flagged as "not functioning" because Windows could not load a driver for the device.

4. I installed the SP56169 package and the Biometric device was now functioning in the Device Manager. I was now able to access Windows Hello and my previous fingerprint data was still saved.

This is a real pain to deal with and it took me a while to fix it attempting various solutions before this solved the issue. Maybe it will help you.

Aleqeuo
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation